Tomlee Tools drill press

WesPete66

Active User
Registered
I scored this fine old drill press at auction for a mere buck.. (I felt kinda bad, it deserved more respect than that. ha) But I likes my old iron so had to have it..
The tag says Tomlee Tools, and vintagemachinery.org dates it to about 1950. It got caught in the rain so needs a good cleaning now.
I have a couple questions though. a) The spindle is very long & is surely an alteration. Was this a common thing to have done? and why?
b) The motor doesn't run, and I have no reason to believe it is wired correctly. The motor has 6 wires in a harness. There is no tag on it. How do I wire this motor to make it run? (wiring diagrams?)
Thanks!
Wes

Tomlee-1.jpg
Tomlee-2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a washing machine motor. You are in a pretty big city, take it to a motor shop and ask them to check it and tell you how to hook it up. They will probably do that in about two minutes for free if you ask nicely.

That sure looks like a washing machine motor, probably two speed, you need 20 mF condenser to run it, try googling any model of number you find on the motor itself, you may find diagram, i've seen washing machine motor used on small drill press they work but don't have much power, 200-400w.

I've been looking at wiring diagrams, and haven't found two the same yet!
What about the long spindle? Anybody have any thoughts on that?
Thanks!

Pete, Shere a picture from the motor connector and wire colors maybe someone has some experience with those motors, as for the spindle is it tapered at both ends, maybe someone put an extended alber on the drill chuck

Wes--it looks like there is a lot of space above the drive pulley ---maybe the shaft has slipped down---you will know if the spindle is in the upper position, and the top of the drive shaft isn't near the top of the tall front casting----maybe some e clips or snap rings came loose---Dave

You are correct Dave. With a bit of PBBlaster the spindle moved easily up/down. It actually dropped right out the bottom. No retainer of any kind that I can find, no grooves, nada.. There was a thrust bearing above the chuck, and a random looking split sleeve. I believe the split sleeve was part of an attachment that was also available as it doesn't match anything else in size.
Does anybody know how this spindle would have been held in place?
DSC01213.JPGDSC01214.JPGDSC01216.JPG

Wes are the three pieces on the shaft the same way they came out of the spindle? the thrust bearing next to the chuck--then the lower spindle bearing and then the top spindle bearing--the top spindle brng looks like it is upside down because of the flange----it would be nice to see the inside of the spindle to see if the bearings fit up to a ridge or there might be a sleeve between the two brngs----anyway you could put a split collar on the shaft just above the top bearing below the belt pulley to keep the shaft from dropping down---a thin bronze washer could go between the top bearing and the split collar---sounds like you are having fun--Dave

Back