Tons of projects coming up,...

I was at a jobsite most of the day waiting on a delivery, so no progress on the shop projects to report today.

BUT, there is some cool stuff to report. While at the jobsite I was following an auction that closed today and was able to bid on some choice items I'd been wanting for a while.

Got a Harig Grind-All No. 2 Fixture w/ Rotary Table Mechanism. One minus on the purchase is that the removeable v block is not with the fixture, so we'll have to buy a replacement for that. I want the motor for this as well, since I saw robin renzetti use the same horizontal table to rotary grind spindles on the surface grinder... so cool.

image (4).png

So I may have to sell a few items to get money to buy those parts.

Also picked up these old ratty looking grinding fixtures I don't know anything about. I was not able to make it to the preview for this auction. I do wonder if that v block on the smaller fixture will fit the harig No. 2?

image (5).png

We also snagged two punch formers, one a LineCo and one yet to be determined brand that was mounted on a plate for grinding between centers...

So I think I have temporarily sated my lust for grinding fixtures.

One reason I'm stoked is that I can now duplicate Robin Renzetti's rotary spin grinding set up from his precision spindle videos. yeehaw.

Those grinding fixtures are awesome; I’m super envious.

I felt bad not getting anything done during the day so I ran over to my brother's place to do a bit more in the shop.

We managed to lift the surface grinder and remove the shipping pallet it has been sitting on for the past few months, and get it up on it's leveling feet in its final position.

IMG_20221103_220448753.jpg

You can just make out the pea soup thick fog outside the open doorway.

I've also been trying on and off to sell this grinder, with new ones for sale on kijiji for $2900 I thought that people may spend 800 bucks on this but no.... now listed for $400 bucks. If it doesn't sell in the next few days I'm going to offer it for free to a fellow from the forum who has loads of space.... we have none.

I dont know how I'll sharpen my planer blades but space constraints and brother's angry significant other can not be ignored.

IMG_20221103_220313758.jpg

I felt bad not getting anything done during the day so I ran over to my brother's place to do a bit more in the shop.

We managed to lift the surface grinder and remove the shipping pallet it has been sitting on for the past few months, and get it up on it's leveling feet in its final position.

View attachment 425523

You can just make out the pea soup thick fog outside the open doorway.

I've also been trying on and off to sell this grinder, with new ones for sale on kijiji for $2900 I thought that people may spend 800 bucks on this but no.... now listed for $400 bucks. If it doesn't sell in the next few days I'm going to offer it for free to a fellow from the forum who has loads of space.... we have none.

I dont know how I'll sharpen my planer blades but space constraints and brother's angry significant other can not be ignored.

View attachment 425524

Hey @Mingy would you be interested in this steeler tool grinder if I can't sell it within the next week? It will sharpen planer blades, ad carbide saw blades as well as end mills and HSS lathe tools etc

Too bad it won't fit in a mailing box... I have T&C lust. Digging through the classifieds doesn't help, it's a morass of worn out machines, random junk attachments with missing parts, and asking prices that came from outer space in a bottle of cheap liquor.

Too bad it won't fit in a mailing box... I have T&C lust. Digging through the classifieds doesn't help, it's a morass of worn out machines, random junk attachments with missing parts, and asking prices that came from outer space in a bottle of cheap liquor.
I know what you mean.

There was a beat up deckel SO grinder at this auction, sold for $600 without a single collet, no remaining finish and rust on the main tool slider shaft and other parts.

The one I have is decent, but huge. If Mingy takes it I can at least save up my grinding jobs and then visit him to sharpen everything.

So, I have been keeping a secret or two. I will have more projects coming up and one in particular I'll even create a lot of video content for and blog about extensively, since it will be a colchester chipmaster lathe refurbishment.

I'm picking it up Monday. Very nervous about having to rely on the seller to load it onto a trailer when he says he is not a rigger and plans to use a fork lift. I'll rig the lathe to the forks and hope he has sufficient lift height to get it onto the trailer. I think I may need to take my pallet truck... but not sure it will fit into my car...

This is one of my dream lathes...

Tonight my brother and I cleaned up and tested some of our newly acquired punch formers and grinding fixtures.

First up was this formerly crud covered and stuck 5C collet grinding fixture that is very similar to the Harig Uni-dex.

It had to be completely disassembled, cleaned and oiled to get it free and turning again. The bore and the spindle are so close that the reassembly is very very tight and the spindle cannot be even slightly off center or it binds when trying to install the spindle.

Once together it is soooo smooooth.

We got a steal on this..

Last edited:
Back