Took apart 4 jaw independent chuck, now it's hard to turn the screws

Dressing stones are for cleaning up diamond and CBN Grinding wheels.... He needs to search for Norton india oil stones....

I have one like this I use it for just about everything...
And I have one like this that doesn't leave the lathe... I use it to touch up my HSS tooling....

Last edited:
A word of caution about using hand stones... - that india stones.

You don't use much pressure at all: very light pressure and Varsol as lubricant is all you need. You aren't reshaping the T slot, you are cleaning up tool marks and burrs. If you press hard, you may ruin the chuck.

If you have to take a half thou or so because the milling was done wrong, go to a coarser stone, such as a 60, then finish with a 120, then 400. BUT PLEASE DO THE FIRST PASS WITH A 320 OR 400 TO GET RID OF ANY BURRS.
- A toolmaker who had to fix a master machinist's work taught me this: investigate with the 400 grit. now you know what you have.

Be aware that WD 40 is not a lubricant. It's more of a solvent. Try lubricating with a something like way oil.

This is absolutely true . WD has no lubricating abilities . I always use brake cleaner when cleaning and smear some STP oil treatment on for lube . It works great when installing bearings too . :encourage:

I really want to get the screws out, but I can't get the retaining pins to move. It's the only thing that prevents me from fully taking down the chuck.

Please post a picture or two of the retaining pins, front and back. Let's see if we can figure out how they are held in place.

I let the the back of the retaining pins soak with WD40 and hopefully that'll loosen them up.

Front:

vYN1Cte.jpg

back:

OqLJorl.jpg

Stone the burs off, check fits. If free, put the Chuck in a pan of solvent and wash well. If not free use a sharpy marker to look for where it is rubbing. Stone the tight spots, rinse & repeat. Wipe it down with some oil and don't try to use WD-40 for anything but a poor solvent or aluminum machining anti-stick.

I just got a reply from Precision Matthews about the retaining pins. They advised against taking these out.

Why not ask them for a replacement 4 jaw if it is really binding?

Back