Tool and cutter grinder build

I am getting a little worried about the mass of this tool holder.

work head and spidle.jpg Because the 5C collet is so large, it increases the size of the tool holder quite a bit. AND IT IS GETTING HEAVY. It is starting to dwarf the base it sits on even though I did increase some of the base in size to be heavier. If that body was steel this thing would weigh 20 pounds.

I left the long nose on the spindle to make more room for the collet and so it would not stick out too far in the rear. I can cut that 1 3/8" nose down to .750" long and remove a couple pounds and some mass and still make ample room for the collet. The original plans call for a 1" spindle instead of a 1 1/2" diameter spindle, which is how big it has to be for a 5C collet. The index plate and wheel which will be steel have to be increased from 3" diameter to 4". this adds a lot of size and weight that was not planned for. I have decided to make the hand wheel on the back from aluminum to reduce weight as it will be 3" diameter. I will bolt it to the index plate which is steel and 4" diameter and .500" thick. it weighs enough on its own. Once the rest of the material is machined out of the spindle , I think it will lighten up a little also. Everything seems like it may work out OK, but I need to watch that the tool holder doesn't get too big or too heavy.

This machine , if built to the plan secs. would be a kind of "prissy" little thing. I am glad I increased the size considerably. The larger machine will be much more stable, bigger capacities and more versatile.

work head and spidle.jpg

have you considers, buying a cheap 5C spindexer and scavenging parts from it or just reworking the casting so you can mount it?

Yea, I been watching for a tread mill motor and controller. I believe everyone including and especially the "pickers" on eBay have figured out what we are doing with treadmill motors and now the price is going sky high. A year ago you couldn't give one away and now they are fetching ridiculous prices on C. L. and eBay. This society runs on greed. I keep watching though

One of these with a bridge rectifier to give you DC will power a treadmill motor. With a 10 amp fuse on the output they're pretty much bullet proof. I've got 3 or 4 I use that were salvaged from old panels at work, they're probably 40 years old and still work. Got to like old school electronics.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Staco-10-amp-variac-autotransformer-variable-AC-transformer-/281589945695

Greg

have you considers, buying a cheap 5C spindexer and scavenging parts from it or just reworking the casting so you can mount it?

Yes I have. the cost would be greater and it is a lot of redesigning and work to try to make it fit what I need. And it doesn't do the size and weight problem any good either. but it is a good idea to try if one wants.

I worked on a design for the rest of the tool holder today

hand wheel 2.jpg I made the index wheel from a piece of 5" diameter mystery steel I had lying around. I turned it t o .500" thick and 4" in diameter. I will drill the index holes in it before the unit is assembled for good. They will be drilled with a center drill. I still have to make the index pin and graduations on the disc.
hand wheel.jpg The hand wheel is aluminum to reduce weight. I had designed a nice knob with 6 flutes for the hand wheel, but I like the "old school" style knob. I remember when most knobs were knurled, so I made the hand wheel and knurled it. I like it much better. I still have to key these two parts to the spindle and finish machining the spindle. The end of the spindle will be threaded to accept a split threaded collar to secure the hand wheel and index disc on the spindle. It is starting to look like a grinder, but there is a long way to go yet. Many more parts to make. Sometimes these details take longer than building.

I spoke to a graphics expert today. he makes all kinds of graphics including the wraps they put on race cars instead of paint jobs. The post here about the german mini bonelle shows them using the graduations laser printed and on an industrial clear tape of some sort to put the graduations on instead of engraving them. I am going to meet with him next week to discuss the possibilities of doing this and if it will hold up, plus the cost factor. This will be interesting if it pans out.

I hope some of you guys are enjoying this build. If I can build this grinder from my little shop of limited tools, anyone can build this machine.

hand wheel 2.jpg hand wheel.jpg

I concur: knurling looks better. :thumbzup3:

Mark, I am thoroughly enjoying watching your build. Thanks for taking the time to document it and sharing it with us.

That is really great. The knurling looks perfect.
I am interested to see how you make out with the graduations.
R

Back