Tool and cutter grinder build

Very interested in this build. I need a tool cutter grinder. Maybe in the distant future. Too many other pressing projects at present. Looks like a good start.:victory:

While looking for plans to follow along with this project, (still have yet to find any), I came across this posting on another site. - http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4052.0 - I noticed the guy makes good use of a shaper. Why those tools ever fell out of fashion is beyond me. Anyway, lots of nice pics and it looks like a nice build.

Mark

Now you're scaring me. ;)

If the content of the various drawing sets vary that much, then I may just take you up on your offer to share your drawings when you are done with your build. I have other things I can do in the meantime. :)

These drawings are extremely difficult to read because they were made in England ( which uses a different view perspective than we are used to). They were converted into inch drawings (and a lot was lost). There are numerous errors in the drawings. Every time I find another set of drawings, I find some missing information. I have spent hours and hours studying these drawings and still don't have all the information or answers, but it will be worth the effort in the end. If you build one of these you should get copies of every set you can find and compare them. I have been also comparing photos of builds and find no two are alike.

I have never found a material list. I have to figure out what I need from the drawing. I will tell you, I take a copy of each drawing and change and edit it to match what I build, so when I am done I have drawings that match my machine.

Yes, I wil make them available to anyone who wants them when I complete this machine.

While looking for plans to follow along with this project, (still have yet to find any), I came across this posting on another site. - http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=4052.0 - I noticed the guy makes good use of a shaper. Why those tools ever fell out of fashion is beyond me. Anyway, lots of nice pics and it looks like a nice build.

Mark

Yes , I have read his site several times. He does a fantastic job. Lots of good info there.

NOTE: Any one who wants a set of these prints and can't find them . PM me and I will send them to you. They are available for free on line in several places but not easy to find.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome project. I hope you document the changes you make ! I may tackle one of these myself once I am retired.

NOTICE: Before I continue on this journey there is something that I feel I must say:

I would never have got back into machining if it wasn't for a great friend who pushes me a little and gives me the inspiration and confidence to do all the projects I do. He is my best and closest friend in the world and a big help to me ( maybe more than he realizes ). His name is Paul Grove. He is like a brother to me and I would like to dedicate the building of this machine to him and the close friendship we share.

Now on to the goodies for today:

My mill and lathe could not handle the bars and the 2 x 2 x 11 block, So I took them to my friends shop and got most of the major work done today.
Bar with hole for ball bearing.jpgmicrometer bar spring hole.jpg
I faced the ends of the bars. The micrometer bar got a large center drill hole in one end to receive a 3/8" ball bearing. The bearing will sit 2/3 of its diameter into this tapered hole made with the center drill. This is a feature I added because it will make the micrometer turn much easier and smoother with less friction. The other end of the bar has a 3/8" diameter hole 3 1/4" deep in the end for the tension spring that keeps the bar tight against the micrometer. I settled on the Quorn setup here because it is much simpler, will do the same job, and less parts to make. The only change is the ball bearing and there will be another ball bearing in the other end as well.

machining flat area.jpgmachining last angle.jpg Here I am machining the end pieces to size. I cut most of the excess material out with the band saw as you saw earlier because it saves time, less machining , and I save the blocks of steel I cut out to make other things with instead of wasting it turning it into chips. This steel is all cold finish steel. It machines beautifully. I think it may be 12L14 because it cuts like butter and has a nice finish.

machined end pieces.jpg These are the end pieces all machined to size and polished, ready to have many holes bored , drilled , and tapped in them. That will be next on the agenda. I will not post a bunch of pics of that as everyone knows how to drill holes. I will detail the boring for the bars as the four holes must be parallel, square and perfectly aligned with each other. I am considering line boring them on my lathe. Machining these pieces took most of the afternoon. I wanted everything as precise as possible. The closer EVERY part is the better everything fits at the end. Once these ends are complete, they will be painted with a black wrinkle finish that gets baked on. It is durable and oil resistant and will really make it look professional. ( this same finish was used years ago on micrometer bodies and many high end tooling devices.)

1 inch reamer.jpg My friend , Paul, gave me this reamer he had and never used. When the wax was removed, we found it to be a 1" reamer. If all goes well and the bars are close enough, I will make a set up to use this to line ream the holes for the bars. I will document the process for fitting the bars to the ends as this was one of the parts of this build that scares the h**l out of me. If I mess it up , I am done.

More next time.

Bar with hole for ball bearing.jpg micrometer bar spring hole.jpg machining flat area.jpg machining last angle.jpg 1 inch reamer.jpg machined end pieces.jpg

I'll be following this, been needing a cutter grinder :))

just finishing up a KMG style knife grinder, not as complex as this though!

Mark

If you want a set to follow along, PM me your email and i will send them to you.

It took all day, but I got the three main holes bored in the ends and they came out perfect. A great sliding fit with NO play. I couldn't have them any better. Tomorrow, I will drill all the small holes and the ends will then receive a coat of black "wrinkle finish" that gets baked on. It should look great with the shiny parts. I'm excited now as it is starting to look like something other than a couple blocks of steel.

bored ends 2.jpgbored ends.jpg The plans call for 12" bars. I have lengthened mine to 19". I also have increased the motor mast from 1.250" to 1.500".

I had planned too line bore these pieces on my lathe with the milling table on it, but a friend let me use his Bridgeport and I took him up on it as he has DRO on every axis. I bolted the parts together, put them in the vise and used the auto quill feed to bore the holes. It went smoothly, in fact so smoothly , I FORGOT TO TAKE PICTURES! The Bridgeport was definitely the way too go on these.

bored ends 2.jpg bored ends.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back