Tool and cutter grinder build

Mark,
How did you do the markings on the micrometer? Did I miss that?
When you plunge the end mill like above, do you have a pre-drilled hole? of just make it with the end mill?
R

Mark,
How did you do the markings on the micrometer? Did I miss that?
When you plunge the end mill like above, do you have a pre-drilled hole? of just make it with the end mill?
R

There was some information on the markings.I use my lathe with a boring bar to scratch the line. It is earlier in the thread. I use a degree wheel to index.

I just plunged that hole because I had a center cutting end mill. Otherwise you have to drill first.

Mark,

Excelent craftsmanship! I am following this with great interest, as I found Bills build after it was complete.
For several years I have considered building a cutter grinder the size of a bread box.
My needs are to sharpen horizontal cutters up to 4 inch O.D. and end mills.

I havent got off center yet as I have a full size industrial T&G. But that is the problem its HUGE and in the way.

I do have two questions about this Bonelle design concept that I don't understand.

1) With so many adjustments, how are the various axies brought exactly to "Zero"? {Question defined as adjusting precisely "Parallel or Square" to the grinding wheel.}

2) I understand how to use a Deckel, as well as an Industrial tool grinder. With the Bonelle design, how are the spiral flutes of an endmill ground?

Keep up the good work!

Restorer

Mark,

Excelent craftsmanship! I am following this with great interest, as I found Bills build after it was complete.
For several years I have considered building a cutter grinder the size of a bread box.
My needs are to sharpen horizontal cutters up to 4 inch O.D. and end mills.

I havent got off center yet as I have a full size industrial T&G. But that is the problem its HUGE and in the way.

I do have two questions about this Bonelle design concept that I don't understand.

1) With so many adjustments, how are the various axies brought exactly to "Zero"? {Question defined as adjusting precisely "Parallel or Square" to the grinding wheel.}

2) I understand how to use a Deckel, as well as an Industrial tool grinder. With the Bonelle design, how are the spiral flutes of an endmill ground?

Keep up the good work!

Restorer

With regards to the adjustment for zero, with the scales and some micrometer attachments that are made, it is not a problem setting everything to zero.

There is a finger rest for grinding flutes and made much better with use of an air bearing spindle.

Hey Mark,

Are you incorporating a air bearing type spindle into your design?

Mark
I got a email from the company in England and the fella there said that they just use bearing from an alternator. They would do a fine job and you do not need hundred dollar bearings.
Nelson

Last edited:

I had found some info on making an air bearing once, but can't find it now.they are kinda expensive to buy , so I wouls like to attempt one. if anyone has any info about them , let me know

I had found some info on making an air bearing once, but can't find it now.they are kinda expensive to buy , so I wouls like to attempt one. if anyone has any info about them , let me know

From all I've read about them, the clearances are quite tight. If I were going to make one myself, I would probably try a piece of TGP round for the spindle and check to make sure it's size was uniform to a tenth or two, then I would rough in the spindle housing and take it to an automotive machine shop and have it finished on a Sunnen hone. I used to run one when I worked at a shop and you can get very tight clearances with straight uniform holes on one of those machines, if operated correctly.

Back