Tool and cutter grinder build

Thats correct, four lines are all that are needed, I just liked the look of the fifth one.

Greg

Great ideas here Mark!
R

Finally got around to making the bracket to hold the tool holder on the machine. It feels like a big accomplishment to have it finally mounted.
tool holder mounted.jpg
grinder so far.jpg
now to make the index pin and I still have to key the hand wheel and index wheel to the spindle, I guess that is next. I been waiting to key the spindle and index wheel because when using a square 5C collet to hold lathe tools, you want the index key and the collet key to match up to the "zero" position when the tool is level in the collet. I have also noticed that the square 5C collets are running about $35 apiece. I ain't gonna pay that much. I have figured a way to make the square collets for no cost using some CRS I have in my scrap .... er ...I mean inventory. But first the key ways and index pin.

The list of accessories to make for this grinder is growing and the grinder isn't even done yet. I already figured how to make the square collets, I have a print drawn to make the micrometer for setting up to do radius's on cutters, I have another print drawn for pins and locks to quickly and easily set adjustable parts of the grinder to "level" or "zero" quickly and easily., I have another print for a movable/adjustable handle to rotate the front bar and work head when grinding so I don't have to try to hold the big thing with my hands ( it should make grinding much easier), now that I finally understand the swinging head stock linkage, it is a must to build also. I have to find someone with a surface grinder to grind the half set up pins ( I checked a couple local shops and :eek: $$$$$$$ :faint: , so working on that yet). The list keeps growing.

Looking very, very good Mark! Excuse me while I go get a napkin to mop up the drool... :)

Looking very, very good Mark! Excuse me while I go get a napkin to mop up the drool... :)

Because it is so cold outside (and 18" of snow), I been building this in my bedroom for weeks. I go to the shop, make some parts, bring them in and put them together. I went to move it yesterday and found I can barely pick it up , it is so heavy. It is gonna take two people to get it out of the house.:frown:

Are you going to shield/protect the vertical leadscrew in some way? I was looking at that in your last pics and started thinking I might position it left of the vertical column or shield it in some fashion. Just being nosy... :)

Bill,

It is good you brought that up. I have thought about that for a while. It is on the right to avoid getting in the way of the pulleys and belt. There will be shields around the stone and a hookup for the vacuum cleaner, I doubt it would be essential to shield it , but even the Bonelle did. It would be simple to make a sheet metal shield to cover the two sides towards the wheel. Another thought is rubber bellows. I found a couple sources for them , but they are pricey ( but would look really cool.) I do intend to have a bellows on at least the front of the micrometer bar.

(Nosy can be a good thing.....you never know what I might have forgotten) :grin:

I too like the idea of a bellows on at least the front bar, but when I priced them they gave me pause. Probably will just pony up for it anyway. I like the shield idea for the screw.

Things that make you go hmmm... ;)

Back