Tool Box Options: Cheap

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The wife scored a box of fancy forks and spoons at a rummage sale which happened to match what she already had.
When she consolidated the boxes the spare box was headed to Goodwill. But somehow got diverted as I carried it to her car.
It's not a Gerstner but the price is much less. A quick scan of CL and ebay shows these frequently at $10-$15. Some have drawers and are larger.

Got me thinking about jewelry boxes. Some are free standing.
While not appropriate to load up with dozens of 1inch end mills and large parallels they might be a great way to store hand mics and indicators.
I'm wondering what I should do with my daughters jewelry when it gets displaced... thinking....

Daryl
MN

Silverware boxes are abundant at estate and yard sales for stupid cheap.

Great for custom case type tool boxes for special tools and can make great showcase type boxes for custom made things too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Dog , I bought a gentleman's woodshop last year . He was 95 and he built custom cases for customers . He had 100s of cases in this place , many of which I got out before the house was sold but many were left because I just didn't have the storage room . He did some beautiful work , and I'm going to try and put some of the cases to work . He died the exact day that his place sold .

Dog , I bought a gentleman's woodshop last year . He was 95 and he built custom cases for customers . He had 100s of cases in this place , many of which I got out before the house was sold but many were left because I just didn't have the storage room . He did some beautiful work , and I'm going to try and put some of the cases to work . He died the exact day that his place sold .

mmcmdl,
If you get a chance please post some pics, as I'm looking for ideas. One of my early goals for my new shop is to build some cases/cabinets for machine tools such as the one below (this is not my work). I used to hand cut a lot of tails and mortise/tenon. Hoping to do some more of that.

Daryl
MN
s-l640 (2).jpg
s-l640 (8).jpg

That is one beautiful piece ! :encourage:

Yea that is a beautiful case id hate to use it for tools lol

I’d hate to think about the cost of filling that box with tools. LOL Lots of drawers with lots of compartments.
Beautiful work!

That box would be the only box id need lol

very nice Daryl--that one looks like a printers handset type cabinet--I'll supply the red oak wood if you want to make two of them--one for you and one for me--only not with so many partitions ----one of those would really clean up several of my piles nice---Dave

Back