Tool Cutter Grinder

rahulgautamamechanicalengineer

Registered
Registered
In the summer I began doing some work on designing a T&C. I bought some plans online and started detailing project layouts. Nevertheless, I came across a project from a local machinst who has build a beautiful T&C. He is asking $900.00 is this too much. The design replicates a Quorn and a Brooks-Stent grinder. He has added ball bearings and digital readouts. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good deal when you take into account a Cuttermaster goes for 4 grand.

I would definitely want to take a look at it before shelling out the cash, but yeah, it does sound like a good deal.

I'm still working on a prototype of a T&C. I find there isn't a proper T&C since the days of the Quorn and Brooks-Stent. So, when I found this find I was interested. But I want to investigate it further before anything.

In the summer I began doing some work on designing a T&C. I bought some plans online and started detailing project layouts. Nevertheless, I came across a project from a local machinst who has build a beautiful T&C. He is asking $900.00 is this too much. The design replicates a Quorn and a Brooks-Stent grinder. He has added ball bearings and digital readouts. Any thoughts?
Knowing what I know now, I would never build a quorn or Bonnelle grinder. I built a Bonnelle and it sits under one of the benches gathering dust. I found it way over engineered and time consuming and many times difficult to make it do what I needed. I built a T&C designed similar to a Cuttermaster It is much easier to use and does what I need. But that is MY opinion.

Thanks Mark!
I too agree that the Bonnelle is over engineered and time consuming. The cuttermaster is a good product but I find it over-priced. I know I can build and design a more simpler, product and more fairly priced.

Thanks Mark!
I too agree that the Bonnelle is over engineered and time consuming. The cuttermaster is a good product but I find it over-priced. I know I can build and design a more simpler, product and more fairly priced.
Yes and the quorn is too small. Take a look at the T&C I built for some ideas. It is in members projects. I have to take mine apart and make a small change but it is nothing major. You can build one as good as the Cuttermaster a whole lot cheaper. I think if I bought everything for mine it woul cost about $500.
One thing to remember ( I learned this the hard way) . You build a beautiful grinder and suddenly realize you can't use it because you have to make all the fixtures to use it. ( They are too expensive to buy). I have been making them as I need them.

Yes, a Cuttermaster can be in the thousands, but that’s new or goofy priced used. I see then in my neck of the woods for under $1k all the time in good used condition. Before I would buy somebody’s homemade project, especially for that kind of money. I would very carefully go over it!!! I’m stepping on toes, sorry. But, not everyone can make a T&C grinder and make it work. I would be much happier buying a factory made something (and I’m not thinking overseas when I say that, sorry again). I think a floor mount universal grinder would be MUCH more adaptable in a home shop. With it you can grind sooooo many capabilities. And it’s around $1K in good used condition…Dave

Yes, a Cuttermaster can be in the thousands, but that’s new or goofy priced used. I see then in my neck of the woods for under $1k all the time in good used condition. Before I would buy somebody’s homemade project, especially for that kind of money. I would very carefully go over it!!! I’m stepping on toes, sorry. But, not everyone can make a T&C grinder and make it work. I would be much happier buying a factory made something (and I’m not thinking overseas when I say that, sorry again). I think a floor mount universal grinder would be MUCH more adaptable in a home shop. With it you can grind sooooo many capabilities. And it’s around $1K in good used condition…Dave
I quite agree with you about floor mounted older industrial cutter grinders; I have a #1 Norton T&C grinder with most all the accessories, and find it quite useful for nearly any sharpening project; it came out of government storage, and was in excellent condition except for the typical government repaint that peels off; I sanded it all down and did a proper job of it. One time, I was given a small KO Lee cutter grinder with all the accessories and found it to by a real pain in the (posterior) to use; when I sold my business, I had an appraiser come in to evaluate all the machinery; he was a professional machinery salesman and quite knowlegeable; I was telling him what excellent condition it was in and all that came with it; after I stopped talking , he asked me "what do you really think of it"; I replied, Ray, it's a piece of ****! By this I meant it was haed to set up to be able to reach what you were working on and extremely limited in it's working envelope.

Thanks guys. I understand the irony in building and especially buying a T&C. But for me it's a bucket list thing. When I do build it I will make all sorts of jigs and fixtures. But I assume I'll make jigs and fixtures optimizing the ones that most commonly used, and then making/designing ones as I see fit

Back