• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

Tool & Cutter Grinding Machine Kellenberger No. 56

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

bjornsh67

Hi,

Got myself a new machine for the shop.
03_1079062702.jpg

Any folks out there with experience on this type of machine?

My background for getting this one is I have been looking for a universal grinder for some time. I have been investigating getting a chinese from Alibaba or ebay - but have passed I figured I could make almost the same job with a jig and diamond files.

When a local advertisment came up on this one I took action. And after a week it is parked in my garage waiting for its new home to be ready. I have a small project to extend my shop to get 3 small more square meters of shop floor space.

I will post more pictures and information once I have got it permanently parked, cleaned and tested.

Regards
Bjorn

Attachments

Last edited:

brino

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Congratulations!

I would really like to find a similar machine.

Is that a powered rotary head and foot-stock on the floor?
I'd like to see more pictures fully assembled if you get a chance.

Thanks,
-brino

A618fan2

Very nice get - wish I could offer more than congrats. BTW, in side view it looks a little like Robby the Robot!

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
BTW, in side view it looks a little like Robby the Robot!
Danger!!! Will Robinson, Danger.:alien::alien::alien: That's a nice looking rig, and the rotary table should make it very versatile. Should work fine on a mill too. I'm casually looking for one for myself, just have to wait my turn. Mike

bjornsh67

Thanks folks,

The rotary spindle is powered. It has a mt5 spindle.

The "robby" arm can swing to adapt various work modes. I also have attachement for id grinding. You can see the large bore to the right of the arm. The grinder "headstock" can swing in both planes.

I must admit i have not yet put power on the machine. There are few electromechydraulic mechanism so I cross fingers.

I paid usd 840 for it. Acceptable?

Bjørn

samthedog

Active User
Much nicer than the little Clarkson Mk II I had to settle for. Let me know when you have it running, I have some parts that need grinding :)

bjornsh67

The grinder is now in my shop and I had a go on the cleaning part. Man, this beast was grindish ! I have to be careful when I operate it so I don't contaminate rest of my shop.

Any one that have some advice on how to isolate the grinding dust? I do not plan to use it for much cylindrical grinding anyway - mostly tool grinding.

20160221_204302.jpg

The chuck you can see on the right is part of my Thiel rotary/index head - just got hold of it and not restored" yet. The drawer in the background is dedicated to tools for the grinder. I have some space left in the drawers - the bottom one.

tertiaryjim

Active User
H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Wet grinding is the only way I know to keep the dust n grit down.
She's mighty purdy! Think you did very well.
I paid $700 for a grinder thats not half your machine but I live in a machine tool desert.

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice looking machine! I have an old Crystal Lake cylimderical grinder waiting its turn for restoration. Grinding dust is a big problem with surface and cylindrical grinders. Most advice I've received is put it in its own room - so particulate matter doesn't contaminate your other machine surfaces. Iam thinking about building a plastic shield around my machine, and venting it out with a shop vacuum. Also have found a very large used billboard canvas for sale on EBay. Thinking about buying one of these and making a tent like structure within my shop to contain the dust.

Also flood coolant seems to be necessary to control heating and expansion of the part. Also keeps the dust down I,would think...

Good luck. It would be great to hear your experiences.

Glenn

bjornsh67

Nice looking machine! I have an old Crystal Lake cylimderical grinder waiting its turn for restoration. Grinding dust is a big problem with surface and cylindrical grinders. Most advice I've received is put it in its own room - so particulate matter doesn't contaminate your other machine surfaces. Iam thinking about building a plastic shield around my machine, and venting it out with a shop vacuum. Also have found a very large used billboard canvas for sale on EBay. Thinking about buying one of these and making a tent like structure within my shop to contain the dust.

Also flood coolant seems to be necessary to control heating and expansion of the part. Also keeps the dust down I,would think...

Good luck. It would be great to hear your experiences.

Glenn
Thanks for the good advice and thoughts for my grinder projects. I am planning to move the grinder into a isolatedish area of my shop. I am also plannng to use some kind of plastic curtain to try to contain the dust.

It is probably a good idea to plan for using coolant for accuracy and dust containment.

At present, and again for the fourth time, I am changing(extending) my shop layout. I hope to be up and running the next month or so.

[6]
[5] [7]