Tool for centering a punch mark in a lathe

Even easier = just turn a point on the end of a 12 inch rod that you hold in the chuck in the tail stock.

I don’t quite see the problem. If there is a center punch mark on the piece, I run a sharp live or dead center (in the tailstock) up against the part, holding it against the chuck, then adjust the jaws as needed. I suppose I could use a wiggler with the needle tip to verify centered...maybe use an indicator against the needle tip. I would wonder how accurate the long pointer really is?
In fact, maybe another thread is sources of error that are not that obvious...sorry to go off topic.

My apologies, I did not see cascao’s point...but after watching superburban’s tubalcain video, I now understand. Yes, I like the error expansion and accuracy improvement of these methods. Huh, learned something. Thanks.

I have one of those center finders. I had another very nice one, B&S 736 complete set, and traded it to Keith Rucker.

I have the Starrett version. Beutifully color case hardened tool. Works good, too.

Back