Tool for cutting 1/8" steel wire.

The_Apprentice

Registered
Registered
So, I worked more on my mandrel today for creating 1.5" jumprings / open rings.

I drilled a hole into it for the starting wire position... wrapped 1/8 of stainless steel 304 around it as a rough test. Now the question is, how best to cut off the rings?

Originally I was thinking on picking up a dremel tool, as I'm sure they can always come in handy. But maybe something even simpler is better here? Like a type of decent wire cutter? I may be over-thinking this, it's just that every wire cutter I've had/used really did not handle the tasks they were up to because the amount of poor leverage was the issue... not to mention they would kill my hands.

Is there something at say, Princess Auto or Harbor Freight that should handle the 1/8" cutting/snipping without being a pain? Something someone's used with PERSONAL experience to vouch for?

It' really that simple... looking for suggestions. :)

drilled hole.jpg
wire.jpg
rings.jpg

Maybe a thin abrasive cutting disc on a dremel or one of those HF cutoff tools either air or electric

How many rings you intend to make?
The quantity required is usually a significant factor in choosing the manufacturing details.

> How many rings you intend to make?

Depends on if I can make good quality jump-rings. If it works, possibly hundreds.

> A small bolt cutter if you don't mind dressing up the ends after the cut.

I had been wondering about that myself... I have a grinder here, I can try to use that to help round the ends a little maybe... originally bought the grinder to practice cutting HSS bits on. But then I got lazy and used the carbide tips. LOL

A Dremel would work but would be painfully slow. A cut off disk on an angle grinder would walk through them.

Greg

You could clamp it on a mill and use a thin slitting saw.

Back