Tool Gloat - Mitotoyo

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Went looking for metric bolts this morning to repair tractor steering. Over time they had worked loose and one had broken. The tought was to replace them with new ones and Loctite them to help keep them from working loose again. I found that they are special having reduced head size for clearance on the steering sector box. Guess I will have/get to use the hex block and collet set to reduce the new ones for the same clearance.

The hardware store was within a few blocks of the scrap yard so I decided to drop by. Not looking for anything in particular but as always on the lookout for that special piece of material I might need. I happened to notice a pile of material drops and stuff and walked over to take a look. There was a bright familiar shape looking back at me from under the pile. I lifted a few pieces off and there was a 6 inch Mitotoyo dial caliper. It had not been damaged by the unloading and appears to work mechanically. Not sure about the accuracy yet but is probably "close enough" for hobby work or carrying in the truck for material search trips.

At current cost of 25 cents a pound it was a bargain.

The required gloat photo attached.

Benny

Mitotoyo Dial Caliper 002.jpg

Went looking for metric bolts this morning to repair tractor steering. Over time they had worked loose and one had broken. The tought was to replace them with new ones and Loctite them to help keep them from working loose again. I found that they are special having reduced head size for clearance on the steering sector box. Guess I will have/get to use the hex block and collet set to reduce the new ones for the same clearance.

The hardware store was within a few blocks of the scrap yard so I decided to drop by. Not looking for anything in particular but as always on the lookout for that special piece of material I might need. I happened to notice a pile of material drops and stuff and walked over to take a look. There was a bright familiar shape looking back at me from under the pile. I lifted a few pieces off and there was a 6 inch Mitotoyo dial caliper. It had not been damaged by the unloading and appears to work mechanically. Not sure about the accuracy yet but is probably "close enough" for hobby work or carrying in the truck for material search trips.

At current cost of 25 cents a pound it was a bargain.

The required gloat photo attached.

Benny

That came out of "My pile" that my grinder came in and was in quarantine until I finished going through it you must return it promptly.

Nice score Benny----and you didn't need a forklift to unload it.

Back