Tool Grinder Attachment

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I bought this really cool small tool grinder a little while back.

hilcoModel2.jpeg

It was set up for grinding reamers but not much else so I started doing some research. All I could find online was the original patent filing from 1933, it showed another piece that I didn't get which looked perfect for grinding drills and end mills.

hilco_patent.jpg

So I decided to try and duplicate it based on the drawing. There weren't any dimensions so I had to figure those out, fortunately I had a few pieces of steel that looked about right. I started with the base.

Hilco_grinderbase.jpg

Then I needed to have some kind of tool holder. Fortunately I had an ER32 - MT2 collet holder and a Hardinge MT2 - straight shank taper thing I bought off eBay to work with, I made a knurled piece to serve as a drawbar holder (5/16 cap screw).

ER32_hilco.jpg

I had a piece of scrap left from my other project that was about the right size but since it was from the end of the bar it was pretty buggered up. I squared it up on the lathe and bored and offset hole for my collet arrangement.

hilco_block.jpg

I wanted a nice finish inside with a good slip fit so I did the final sizing with a makeshift tool post grinder (HF mini die grinder).

hilco_block2.jpg

Roughed out a pedestal for the base and started removing material from the collet holder block.

hilco_grinder-pieces.jpg

Much layout, cutting, drilling, tapping, grinding, filing, and sanding and I think I have a pretty passable copy of the original from the patent drawing.

grinder.jpg

Ready to go to work sharpening tools.

grindr-mtd.jpg

Thanks for looking.

John

Nice work. But dont stop there......
Extend the shaft that is holding the end mill and allow it to easily slide without slop within the locking collar then add a guide pin to ride in/against the flutes along with a different wheel and you can Sharpen the entire end mill!

Nice work!

I am currently collecting ideas for extending the use of a Darex E90 from an end mill sharpener to a more fully functional "tool and cutter grinder".

Thanks for sharing this.
-brino

Nice work. But dont stop there......
Extend the shaft that is holding the end mill and allow it to easily slide without slop within the locking collar then add a guide pin to ride in/against the flutes along with a different wheel and you can Sharpen the entire end mill!

It might not be clear from the pictures but the assembly that holds the er32 collet rotates and slides in/out. I do have a guide pin assembly I got with it so will have to see if that will work or if I need to make something else.

Thanks,

John

You could add another axis and a holder for square tools to grind lathe toolbits. There are a number of commercial toolholders for T&C grinders that are made that way for lathe tools, you could probably find one on eBay as well. The kind that you built with a spindle tend to be pricey, and may be too big for your machine. Nice work.

What size is your work envelope or travels?

Z travel is about 6"
the motor rotates on the Z column and can move in/out about 2"
X moves about 8"
The attachment just rotates and tilts through an arc that's about 3". Should be plenty for any tool I own or am likely to use in my shop.

Next project will be a table for surface grinding probably.

John

If an air bearing would fit, that would be a great little grinder to have. I will be looking for one myself.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk

Back