Tool grinder

Doc Hoy

Registered
Registered
I just took delivery on a U3 tool grinder from "Suying" sold through eBay. Some say this tool is a rip-off of the Deckel Tool Grinder. I have reviewed as many videos as I could find and I will say that they look very similar. The model that I bought is the 110 volt version, for USD 662.00 and free shipping. The grinder arrived five days early which was nice. Packaging was not great.

The bad:
1. The machine had shifted during transit which movement cause damage to the end cover of the motor to the extent that the cover was interfering with operation of the motor. I straightened it out and the only impact is that the machine looks like it had been packaged by Yosemite Sam.
2. I don't think much of the light. It could be brighter and it could more positively remain where it is put.
3. The machine is supplied with three collets (Deckel style) two of which are (IMHO) too small to be of any use (I think they are 1/8 and 3/16).

The good:

The machine is less than half the price of other similar units.
The machine is substantial and precise.
It is supplied with everything I needed to get started. (As long as I did not want to work on milling cutters that were more than 1/4 in diameter.)

Overall I am very happy with the machine. It appears as though it will do everything I need it to do. I am happy to answer questions.

They are not knockoffs/ripoffs in the usual sense. The original patent was given in 1935 or so, it has long expired (1956). Deckel even gave Alexander a license to make them, although with British threads, not metric.

AliExpress is one place you can get quite good E355/U2 collets. My suggestion is to consider getting a 16mm collet, then a straight 16mm shank ER16 collet chuck with a set of collets (metric or imperial or both) depending on your needs. I use that to do 4 facet drill grinds as well as misc. tooling.

Attachments

• 20200509_140542.jpg
    20200509_140542.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200509_140429.jpg
    20200509_140429.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 59
Thanks Guys.

My use of the expression "rip-off" was a poor choice. Knock-off is better but it is also correct to say that the Deckel serves as the inspiration for this machine.

To Ulma,

Square collets is a good idea. The machine has an accessory for square tools (which, in the two hours I have messed with it, is the only accessory I have used.)

To UB27,

Thanks to you as well for the point to the ER16. I have found both.

Please forgive my newbie question: is the purpose of this machine to sharpen drills, end mills etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please forgive my newbie question: is the purpose of this machine to sharpen drills, end mills etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Their original purpose was to make single lip cutters for engravers/pantographs. Subsequently their use expanded, sometimes depending on the creativity of the user. Their are those who say it can't do end mills (the ends or the flutes) but there are plenty of examples of that being done and working well. Rob Renzetti and Stefan G both provide plenty of other examples on YT and Instagram of how useful the machine is/can be.

Some machines come with a drill grinding attachment, I just use the ER16 collet chuck and angles to get four facet. Makes for a lovely drill bit.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-28 115726.jpg
    Annotation 2020-05-28 115726.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 53
Their original purpose was to make single lip cutters for engravers/pantographs. Subsequently their use expanded, sometimes depending on the creativity of the user. Their are those who say it can't do end mills (the ends or the flutes) but there are plenty of examples of that being done and working well. Rob Renzetti and Stefan G both provide plenty of other examples on YT and Instagram of how useful the machine is/can be.

Some machines come with a drill grinding attachment, I just use the ER16 collet chuck and angles to get four facet. Makes for a lovely drill bit.
This one came with a collet holder, a square tool holder, and a drill bit holder. So far, I have used only the square too holder.

I have used this grinder for several sharpening tasks. It makes a big different in the performance of my lathe. I will try it on milling cutters next. I bought a stone wheel for it on eBay but the bore is too small. Hrmph!

I have the Deckel SO. The 1/8" and 3/16" dia. collets are must have sizes for use with a pantograph engraver. The .200" dia. is also useful to form tracing styles for the pantograph. The Deckel clones seem to be quite good regarding price and utility, and there are many u-tube videos showing the modifications being done on them by various owners. When I got mine it had endured 30 years of hard use and abuse, but still was tight and accurate. I use my Deckel every day and it's always enjoyable.

Not to distract, but for end mill sharpening, I just got a Darex E-90. It has a truly impressive almost completely frictionless air bearing, and knobs and levers that make it easy to get the primary and secondary grinds on the flutes, and to do a good job on the ends no matter how many flutes. It’s actually kind of fun to use, doesn’t take up much space and looks well designed.

Back