Tool grinder

I use my Deckel clone to sharpen end mills, and it does a good job (it all hinges on the headspace and timing of the operator), but it does not do as nice of a job as the considerably more expensive Darex (which I have experience with) or more favorable designs like the Cutter Master (which I don't). The range of angles that you can present the work to the wheel is cramped with the D-bit grinders, but not so much as to make the job impossible. A D-bit grinder can sharpen the face and the flutes. I cut the gash on the face of end mills by hand, but if you get the right wheel setup you can do those in the fixture too. All in all, I think the chow mein Deckel clone is a fantastic grinder (buy the one with universal 5c collets) for home shop use. These days, when I pick up a tool bit, I'm inclined to sharpen it to perfection in two shakes on the grinder rather than get by on "good enough". Use those pricey tools until they are too short to be useful, then grind them into another tool. Winning!

I have to work on my technique for end mills. More later. Thanks for the responses guys.

Back