Tool Grinding Experiment

Being motivated by Mikey's great instruction on tool grinding, I dove in today and seems I was reasonably successful.

Success (I think?) grinding a turning (square) tool. I'm sure it would be easier with the models on hand, but wanted to try it just based on Mike's pictures and descriptions. I think I'm close (it seemed to work very well in brass, just ok on 303 stainless)

I installed the platen on my 1x42 belt grinder. It's just steel, but seems flat.
IMG_1151.JPG

Set the table to 15°
IMG_1165.JPG

Laid out the geometry on the blank. I reused a MoMax blank, so it looks a little funky, but I think I got the tip geometry correct.
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1167.JPGIMG_1168.JPGIMG_1169.JPGIMG_1170.JPG

After grinding the shape, I honed the cutting surfaces on 80um diamond film and finished with a 6000 grit water stone. Here are the results on brass:
IMG_1175.JPG

Short curls. Still a lot of glitter--think I need to take deeper cuts?

John,
That explains a lot. I was getting very stringy chips on my stainless test piece. I also got feedback from Mike that my back rake was off. Learning lots (even broke out Machinery's Handbook this morning!)

Is this the type of tool you're talking about with an adjustable chip breaker?

View attachment 266436

I'll noodle on it this week and hit it again in the evening or next weekend.

Thanks,
Evan
Yes, that is the very same tool, that is wwhat I use for nearly all of my turning and facing work.

Back