Tool Height Tolerance

thanks derf, much appreciate the info. At the risk of being a pest, may I ask how long a barrel can be done that way and do you use cutting lube?

I've done barrels up to 30", but that requires me to remove my thread dial to get that much travel. I use Ashburn 9000 water soluble coolant.
I didn't mention it before, but this is on a 13" South Bend. It's a good stiff machine and that's probably why I don't have many problems with chatter. I can't get away with this on my heavy 10".

What I don't get is how you can turn a taper-free barrel over 30" while using carbide inserts without a follow rest. I believe you but it sort of seems to defy physics.

Once you get a few hundred under our belt, you tend to figure things out....:grin:

I have one of these from edge technology it has an adjustable bubble you set to your machine then put it in the chuck and level your tool ed-02-001-main.jpg

I have one of these from edge technology it has an adjustable bubble you set to your machine then put it in the chuck and level your tool View attachment 257321
What do you do if the work is partially finished in the chuck and you want to change to a different tool holder and/or put a different height tool in it?

I have holders for each tool I have so I don't run into that problem but I believe they make a similar level you don't mount in your chuck you just hold against the stock but since I bought holders for each tool bit i have I bought this one

Back