Tool help?

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I’ve been following Tom Lipton’s latest 3pt on an adjustable tool makers v-block. Around 4:13 he’s got a nifty tool holder/extension for his small endmill. I’ve never seen one and more than once I’ve gone to use like a 1/8” bit to get in a tight place, just like he’s doing with the long tapered holder, but couldn’t get in there with just one of my collets. Anybody got one like that? Know what it’s called? I tried some of my lame search ideas and never got close.

Not nearly as slim but I've got a DA collet chuck that I use to reach in tight spaces. I forget the diameter of the collet nut but the shank is 3/4" dia & something like 7" long. I have a set of collets for it from 1/16" to 3/8".

(Sorry, this was the only pic I had on hand but actually using it for workholding here. I can't upload pics from my phone right now do to the expired certificate issue we're currently having.)
20200312_165941.jpg

EDIT: Here's a couple more.
Img_0618.jpg
Img_0098.jpg

Ok, I was bored & couldn't resist. :big grin:

Straight chuck is around $170 or well over $200 depending on where you look. Set of 11 collets from 3/32" - 1/4" is $600! I suppose one might not need all the 32nd & 64th sizes but still each collet is $50! :faint:

Search eBay for "ER8 collet chuck" (3/16" max), "ER11 collet chuck" (1/4" max), ER16 collet chuck (13/32" max). Pick your size and length. Also look for collet sets.

The ER collet chucks aren't as sexy as the beauties that Will found, but about 10% the cost.

Thanks DZ, i bow to your superior google fu.

We have a winner and there’s no way homie is gonna pop for that but at least I know now it exists, and what it’s called. Wtih the combo of those and my cheap ways and ability to hang like a virtual vulture the search is on.

thanks so much

My next months tooling budget, might allow for one of the collets, but the collet chuck is out of reach.........:(

That totally popped open the search and this came up. I went for it and because I’m a true hobby guy with an old RF30 this will probably do me good for less than half.

Cool thing is in checking the drawings is this is only .02 larger than the expensive one. It was hard to tell because the new one isn’t tapered like the expensive ones. But I’m figuring since I’m not running CNC and speeds and feeds they do so I’ll be ok. Those little endmills scare me ‘cause they seem so fragile. Says it will be here by next Fri, yay!

Back