Tool Holder for straight shank carbide end mills

SnakeyJ

Registered
Registered
I was given a slack handful of HSS and carbide end mills the other day. The HSS are all threaded (Clarkson type) and fit my existing Vertex R8 clarkson/posilock collet holder. But I'm unsure what's best to use for the straight shanked carbide bits (up to 3/4" and 20mm) - I do have a R8 ER32 collet holder, but not sure if this is man enough for the job. Most other toolholders I see are for ground/keyed shanks (Weldon type)?

Is there another collet system that's recommended for straight shank cutters, or do you think ER32 is up to the job??

I would use the ER32 collets to hold them. Torqued properly, they are very accurate and will hold a 3/4" end mill.

I like R8 end mill holders. They're not very expensive. Decent imports are $15 USD apiece, you can get the sizes you plan to use most and use collets for the rest.

Why not just use a r8 collet? It’s not clear by what straight shank is? Just round use a collet or er setup. Collet I think would be most accurate and rigid.
If it has a flat then you could use a collet or a endmill holder style which will give you assurance it won’t spin.
Carbide is strong yet brittle rigidity counts.

Thanks everyone - I might have a gentle try with the ER32, but I have ordered a few R8 Collets as they should give a better grip, a couple of inches more throat clearance and be as rigid and close to concentric as possible.

I think you may find that an ER collet will be more accurate, more rigid and have more gripping surface than an R8 collet. Not that an R8 collet won't work but ER collets are the most widespread tool holding method for good reasons.

I think you may find that an ER collet will be more accurate, more rigid and have more gripping surface than an R8 collet. Not that an R8 collet won't work but ER collets are the most widespread tool holding method for good reasons.

Thanks Mike - It will be a couple of days before I can try this as I have to shift a lathe before moving the mill to it's final position, but will try both and see how I get on. I doubt I'll be doing anything heavy/serious that really justifies the carbide, but I'll go gently and try not to break any - hopefully these will last me for a good few years.

Ensure you keep the threads & tapers clean and lightly lubed and use the recommended torque settings and ER collets rarely give problems.

Are you saying lube the taper?? Everything I every read and was told the end mill, collet chuck taper and collet has to be completely dry, i do apply a little lube to the collet chuck threads.

Back