Tool holder rack

Last edited:
I've never checked whether I have any chips in the strut. There probably is some but, I really don't care. It doesn't impede the operation of the lathe.
The only chips I clear are in the chip pan. The rest can stay where they are. Once the strut fills up the rest will fall into the pan, then I'll remove them.
My lathe is a working machine not a show piece.
I thought that was why Uni-strut had holes in it! :)

I was more concerned about all the chips sticking to the magnet.
It is high enough and down wind enough that it doesn't catch chips.
I made a new wrench rack. The magnetic one wasn't all that strong.
:dejected:Then the tool holders wouldn't catch on it and fall off
I considered both ways. This Unistrut has very large slots, so even if some chips land there most will fall through. I thought there might be something that I could store in the slot. Always looking for a place to put stuff where it is handy.

I have accumulated more tool holders than my original rack will hold. Therefore I made this one. It is a 48" piece of Unistrut bolted to the lip of the lathe back splash so it is on a slope. Two 10-32 screws hold each piece of 1 1/2" aluminum angle, cut from salvaged scrap, on my cold saw. Took a lot of spotting, drilling, tapping, deburring!
The photo was taken before I made the last 6 angles to totally fill out. Now easier to see and grab.
I just screwed a long strip of L shaped aluminum on the wood side rail , holds my OXA tools just fine.....

Back