Tool post for 6" lathe

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
OXA?

AXA?

Any good ones to look for used?

I'm not a fan of lantern style but would take an original if the price was right....

John

I like the Little Machine Shop QCTPs, they cost a bit more than the other imports but I think they they are better quality. I have a Bostar AXA that came with my 10x24. I bought an OXA for my Sherline and an an AXA for the 9x20. After looking at them side by side I think the Bostar is going on the 9x20 and the LMS AXA on the 10x24.

LMS recommends the OXA size for lathes smaller than the 9x20, and have a set that includes a T slot nut for fitting it to an Atlas / Craftsman 6" lathe.

LMS QCTP for Atlas / Craftsman 6"

Unfortunately they are closed indefinitely due to COVID-19

I have ordered quite a bit from them, and have been happy with their stuff. Its mostly import, but they do have some USA brands (Aloris, Starrett for the big spenders) and seem to stick to better quality import stuff. They focus on mini-lathes but stock stuff useful up to 10" lathes and small mills of about the PM25 size.

I have the shars OXA and I have no problems with it. I use it on both a 8x16 and 7x10. The only thing has been a spring washer breaking on a toolholder.

That's pretty much what I thought, thanks for the input :grin:

John

You could always make a Norman style QCTP. I really like mine. Not hard to make and a fraction of the cost.

I've got an OXA on my 618. Really like it.
I looked for one made of steel, not aluminum. I also got a wedge type instead of the piston type. I got a decent deal on a new Shars set on ebay.
It just seemed better in my mind. Other users probably have fine experience with aluminum piston types.

One other thing, get a few extra basic tool holders (i have four). Otherwise, there's little benefit to the "quick change" if you have to remove and replace the cutter every time you switch tasks.

Back