Tool post grinder Build

Over the work week days i hardly have any minute to spare but managed to do little 'turning' i did faced off both ends and radius on them, it seems to be turning on center, but i'll need to take it easy when drilling because it's only holded in couple of small points and could easily move and slip.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0004.JPG

Today i had some time off my job so i continued to work on this project, first centre drilled both sides, then i drilled one end with 19mm drill which is the exact size i need for the bearings i've selected, wich you can see, i've also bought oil seals to match the bearing size, but the drill made the hole oversize, so i had to cut it off and start over, so i drill it one size smaller and used an boring bar to bring it to the 19mm i needed, then i drill the the rest of the way with an 15 mm drill, but my drill could reach only half way, for the other side i started by drilling the thru hole, had to run the drill all the way to reach, then i drill and bore it to 19mm, in the last picture you can see how this price will be held in my tool post, i'm considering should i mount the motor at 90 degrees or at 45 degrees from it.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0014.JPGDSC_0011.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0009.JPGDSC_0008.JPGDSC_0023.JPGDSC_0021.JPG

I like what I see , waiting for more .I too would like one and the prices floor me , even junk goes high burnt out motors with them. I have a air die grinder which I've done some grinding with it mounted in the tool post. But a real grinder at times would be so much better.

Today i continued with working on the spindle shaft, i needed an 12,7mm shaft as the bearings i've chosen are not metric i had to start with an 14mm piece of 4140 and turn it down to an length of 310mm, had to move the tailstock around to remove the taper, after i got it close i use sandpaper to remove the last little bit, then i turn down the end to 10mm and threaded it with M10, more to come.
DSC_0001.JPGDSC_0004.JPGDSC_0005.JPGDSC_0007.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0015.JPG

It was late last night and i was tired when i wrote my post and forgot to mention couple of thing, i had to spin the shaft at 1600 rpm fastest i've run my lathe on purpose, i had lot of deflaction and chater even at 1280 rpm so i went to 1600 rpm which speed things up constable.

I've been really busy with my day job but this weekend i did some work, big part of this build is the belt drive, after looking around i found this aluminium casting, it use to be an air valve, but the end wall was too thin to be fixed to an shaft so i asked a friend to lay down couple of beads, he added about 10mm material, i machined the flats for the belt and found that i'm missing some more material, so i'll take it back again to my friend to add more material by tig welding.
DSC_0010.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0014.JPGDSC_0015.JPG

Today after work i stopped by a friend's place, he is a pro welder he lay down couple of beads on this casting, this only took couple of minutes so i had some time to do some more turning on the lathe, i turn down the welds and drill the center hole, the plan is to assemble the motor and mark the position for the belt pulley, then drill and tap for couple of set screws, then disassemble the motor and finish turning the pulley on the rotor
DSC_0016.JPGDSC_0022.JPGDSC_0023.JPG
, today i also chuck up the front cover for the motor, and turn it flat.
DSC_0026.JPGDSC_0028.JPG

Today i continued working on this project, i started with an 140mm square stock, face it off and chamfer the edges, then drill half the way with 15mm drill, then i did the same on the other side but drill it with 8,5mm drill and tap M10 threads, then i took it to the big garage and spend some time jigging it and welding it, more to come.
DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0003.JPGDSC_0004.JPG

I had some time in between machining couple of things so i decided to drill and thread three hardened steel set screws, this should be sufficient to transmit all the power, they are also deep enough so i can cut multi row belt grooves, more to come.
DSC_0148.JPGDSC_0152.JPG

Back