Tool Post Grinder - Extreme DIY?

joe_m

Active User
Registered
I can't afford a tool post grinder but I want one. I've seen a few plans on the net and in back issues of the metalworking mags, but I'm still too lazy/busy/inexperienced to follow thru that way.

Am I right in thinking that it is just a grinder that has been adapted to lock onto my cross-slide somehow, and if I can find a sturdy enough one that sits at the right height then there is no reason I can't just modify its base to fit my lathe? Is a dremel-type tool strong enough? How about those cheap little 6" grinders I keep seeing at the flea for $10?

I'm sure the high $ ones sit on a rotating plate so you can play with all the angles, but for now I'd be happy with something that would let me touch a moving grinding wheel to the work without everything exploding into a thousand pieces.

Have you, your neighbor or coworker done this? Did it work?

Joe

Dremels are not suitable for decent tool post grinding. Their bearings are not that good,and they are not well seated into their places in the plastic bodies either. They have a cheap little plastic tube coinnecting the motor to the chuck's arbor. It frequently lets go and must be replaced. Just happened to my dremel while polishinf a little,small brass turning in the lathe. Just pooped out for no good reason. Fortunately,I have several Dumore hand grinders. Keep picking them up at Cabin Fever Expo.

Getting good bearings is a key requirement. If you don't,your grinding will have a surface like wild grain plywood from harmonic vibrations.

Ditto on the vibration. I've tried Dremels and various other grinding devices with the same disappointing results. The grinder must be rigid and balanced.

I have seen threads where guys have taken the HF stuff and upgraded with better internals and seem to be getting good results. I've been eying the small chainsaw sharpener for a possible donor.

hi joe
I'm not sure if it will fit your lathe but here is what i use on my 9x20
it is the harbor freight saw blade sharpening grinder, i drilled a hole in the original base and it bolts down to the cross slide. it is not the perfect height but i grind then measure to make sure anyway. it has no endplay or chatter, the motor is pretty powerful. the wheels are cheap and it comes with a diamond disk. I also use the same grinder with a diamond cup wheel in my mill ( i made an adapter ). you cant beat it for $59.00. i ground my hardened ball screw ends to fit a bearing with no problems.
steve

DSCF0234.JPG

I tried to make one with a roto-zip tool. The collet in the thing had 5 thousands runout. I switched to the 1/8 inch collet and ended up with 1 thousands runout. That is runout on the shaft itself. after trueing the wheel it worked ok for truing up a lathe center but it looks like i am going to have to make one from scratch.
Some people seam to get good results with die grinders clamped to the tool post. especialy air grinders.
But i agree, the price of tool post grinders is way too high for me.

I can't afford a tool post grinder but I want one. I've seen a few plans on the net and in back issues of the metalworking mags, but I'm still too lazy/busy/inexperienced to follow thru that way.

Am I right in thinking that it is just a grinder that has been adapted to lock onto my cross-slide somehow, and if I can find a sturdy enough one that sits at the right height then there is no reason I can't just modify its base to fit my lathe? Is a dremel-type tool strong enough? How about those cheap little 6" grinders I keep seeing at the flea for $10?

I'm sure the high $ ones sit on a rotating plate so you can play with all the angles, but for now I'd be happy with something that would let me touch a moving grinding wheel to the work without everything exploding into a thousand pieces.

Have you, your neighbor or coworker done this? Did it work?

Joe

You might want to consider a flexible shaft grinder like this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html
so that you can mount the end of the shaft in a toolpost holder, rather then trying to clamp a whole grinder rigidly.
Dremel also make a flexible shaft attachment to fit their grinders if you want a smaller version.

image_18086.jpg

M

image_18086.jpg

hi joe
I'm not sure if it will fit your lathe but here is what i use on my 9x20
it is the harbor freight saw blade sharpening grinder,...steve
I've got a 13x30 Leblond, so it should be adaptable. But I thought that grinder was one of the things HF no longer carries. Did they rename it or discontinue it?

thanks
Joe

Back