Tool Post Grinder - Extreme DIY?

Cool idea guys... was wondering if you can use this setup to sharpen carbides???

I have an old and little used Craftsman 1/2 HP router that I am considering re purposing as a tool post grinder.
I am concerned that it may be too fast at 15,000 RPM.

Terry

All,

A few thoughts here since some of you are rigging-up your own TPGs.

Be careful about RPMs. Wheels are rated for max RPM and should not be spun faster than that.

Tool post grinding spreads abrasive dust all over your machine -and it gets in all the nooks & crannies. The very stuff that's designed to remove metal will be evenly coated all over your ways etc. -Think about that.

Tool post grinding is similar to precision grinding and is intended to remove sub half-thou amounts of material. The same issues of wheel flatness, wheel balance and load-up apply. BTW, the horsepower needs are proportionately higher with TPG.

A TPG setup (bearings, mounting fixtures etc) needs to be just as precise as a precision grinder; thus, it will only work as good as the lathe ways and all other components allow.

-Not trying to discourage anyone but just wanted to pass along some safety thoughts and areas to consider as you dig in.

Ray

I wonder if the HF saw blade sharpener could be modified to sharpen late bits. Maybe with the addition of a cup wheel and grinding jig?

Chuck

I wonder if the HF saw blade sharpener could be modified to sharpen late bits. Maybe with the addition of a cup wheel and grinding jig?

Chuck

I'm sure it could, but you can buy a regular bench grinder for a similar price, which would be better suited to sharpening HSS lathe bits straight out of the box.

M

Cool idea guys... was wondering if you can use this setup to sharpen carbides???
the diamond wheel that comes with the hf circular saw sharpener grinds carbide very well. and i think the replacement stone and diamond disc set is $9.00
steve

All,

A few thoughts here since some of you are rigging-up your own TPGs.

Be careful about RPMs. Wheels are rated for max RPM and should not be spun faster than that.

Tool post grinding spreads abrasive dust all over your machine -and it gets in all the nooks & crannies. The very stuff that's designed to remove metal will be evenly coated all over your ways etc. -Think about that.

Tool post grinding is similar to precision grinding and is intended to remove sub half-thou amounts of material. The same issues of wheel flatness, wheel balance and load-up apply. BTW, the horsepower needs are proportionately higher with TPG.

A TPG setup (bearings, mounting fixtures etc) needs to be just as precise as a precision grinder; thus, it will only work as good as the lathe ways and all other components allow.

-Not trying to discourage anyone but just wanted to pass along some safety thoughts and areas to consider as you dig in.

Ray

For this very reason I buy import lathes. I believe a machine should be used in every way you possibly can. I grind, cut, polish, and anything you can think of on my lathe and guess what? While taking standard precautions in keeping my machines clean twice a week however I really don’t care if it shortens the life because I need the features and when it wears out I will either replace the parts or go out and buy another lathe. I expect 3-5 years before I wear a machine down and will have made a small fortune from that machine. For those who have prestine looking machines in your basement that you use twice a year (perhaps weekends) and your floors look clean and polished, your machine like it’s brand new, you probably want to reconsider any inconventional use. Heck.., reconsider using the machine at all, lol. A $5,000 lathe is peanuts if it returns $500,000 in revenue and is versatile enough to complete projects timely. Versatility is far more important than longevity. Oops I have a scratch on my ways :).

What you say is most asuredly true from your point of view. I'm thinking very few of us here are concerned with making big bucks machining. Yes, many of us here like to spend time keeping are machines in good condition, and yeah, some of us are sentimentally attached to them. There, I said it, I love my lathe & mill. My whole shop for that matter. Man, this is really embarrassing. There is more to life than money Weedhopper. Mike

Back