Tool Post Holder

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have bunch of atlas/craftsman tool holders for a lantern style tool post holder. I don't care much for the lantern style tool post holders and use my 4 way most of the time. Got to thinking why not make a 4 way sized to hold my atlas/craftsman tool holders. In researching how to make a 4 way this evening I came across a very interesting easy to make QCTP holder.

toolpost1.jpg
The attached pdf's describes how to make it. I am thinking about making one Has anybody used one of these?

Attachments

• tool post holder 1.pdf
    235.1 KB · Views: 346
  • tool post holder 2.pdf
    138.4 KB · Views: 264
Very well done! Impressive.
I never liked lantern type holders either. Fortunately my used lathe came with a quick release tool post.

Never seen that one before. A step up from a lantern no doubt but perhaps not quite as versatile as a Aloris style QCTP as it doesn't index to a set position (other than height). However, it can be made easily can cheaply so that is an advantage.

Very nice. Looks like you turned the sides on your lathe. Good job.

One last thing to consider... get a hand file and break the edges. If you crack you knuckles on that thing, you'll be bleeding.

Great job....

Ray

Yes, I've used these, have one made just for threading. others for boring. Good Job.

Been going over the plans for what I would need to make one of these. Eddyde commented that it doesn't index except for height. Being a newby to machining I have no experience with indexable tool holders. I understand the concept however don't know the practical of how an indexable tool post holder works. Could someone enlighten me on this. Or point me to a plan/drawing of an indexable tool post holder.

Thanks

Found a you tube video where a guy made one of these for his mini lathe.

And I found a you tube video that showed how the indexing on a 4 way tool post holder worked. So I have figured out how to make one of these tool post holders indexable. I have some of the steel that I need and will order the rest.

Last edited:
The tool post in the article seems to be missing the integral base that is in the photo and video. It is an easy mod, it appears.

Back