Tool Post Holder

In looking at additional plans for this type of tool post holder I learned that it was originally patented in the 1890's by a machinist named Norman and this style of tool post holder is sometimes referred to as a "norman style" tool post holder. Just a little bit of trivia that I thought to share.

Changing the subject a little. I was looking at my 4 way tool post holder and thought why couldn't I add a height adjustment screw like the one's used in the norman style tool post holder. This would eliminate the need for shims. Seems like a reasonable solution to shimming. Am I missing something here.

I'm not seeing how that would work. The Norman style is able to use the height adjustment screw because the tool holders slide up and down on the substantial centre column which gives the stability. An ordinary 4-way bolts straight to the compound without a central pillar, so an adjustment screw is not going to make for a very stable setup.

Or perhaps I am the one who is missing something?

-frank

In addition to what francist wrote, there is very little chance (essentially zero chance) that four different tools in a 4WTP will have the same cutting height.
That's why you need to shim each cutter individually.

My 4 way has a center column that it rotates around so I don't think that is a problem. Whether it is substantial enough I don't know.
The different heights of cutting tools is definitely an issue. If the height adjusting screw is truly easy to use couldn't you just adjust the height for each tool. One article that I read suggested scribing a line at center height on the tailstock ram to facilitate easy height adjustment. I don't know if that is practical or not.
My biggest concern is what happens when you tighten the nut that locks the 4 way in place. With only one adjusting screw I would think that the 4 way would cock when you lock it in place. I think that you would need at least 3, maybe 4, adjusting screws. Get the height set with one screw and then lightly tighten the others to match.

Being new to this I don't know the answers to my questions. I appreciate your comments.

That's what I was getting at with the one screw -- cocking the thing off to one side when it was tightened. I think that's the beauty of the Norman is that the screw just sets elevation, all the clamping force appears to in that nice snug-fitting bore/column arrangement. And the column, being as fat as it is, should be very stiff.

That being said, I don't own a Norman style. Just run of the mill 4-way, 3-way that use a simple bolt and T-nut to the compound.

-frank

I might give this a try with 3 adjusting screws. I looked at my 4 way and I can put in 3 screws that won't interfere with anything. I could also put in 4 screws if I wanted to. If I don't like or it doesn't work I can always remove them.

essentially zero chance) that four different tools in a 4WTP will have the same cutting height

I built my 4 tool holder to hold 3/8 and 3/4 tools flush on to centerline of the spindle. I have inserts to use 5/16, 1/4 and 3/16 tools, no shims,s just spacers made to fit.

Edit: Correct typo

Last edited:
In addition to what francist wrote, there is very little chance (essentially zero chance) that four different tools in a 4WTP will have the same cutting height.
That's why you need to shim each cutter individually.

With the 4 way I have 1/2" insert tools all sit on center. 1/2" brazed carbide also set on center until I reground the tip.

Thanks for all the suggestions on using my 4 way. I will give them a try. I am going to make a norman style tool post holder to fit all of the craftsman tool holders that came with my lathe. Just waiting to get the 1 1/4" x 2" x 1' flat steel bar to make the holders. I have the rest of the materials that I need to make the post and base. Time to get started.

Back