Tool Post Holder

I hope everybody considering a four way will check out the inexpensive wedge type QCTP and holders available from many sources, say for example,, CDCO tools. The capability and ease of use, coupled with the low cost of more holders and styles (boring, knurling, etc.) are hard to beat.

Why do you discourage using a 4 way.

Why do you discourage using a 4 way.

I don’t know what OP thoughts was. Mine is the simplicity of getting the tools set and kept set. I have so many tools that are set on center and it is too handy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered that too. I like my 4 way even if it is really a 2 or 3 way when you get right down to it. I was actually researching how to make a 4 way to fit the atlas/craftsman tool holders that came with my lathe when I ran across the plans to make a norman style qctp. The tool post holder I am making didn't seem any harder to make than a 4 way. So here I am. Of course this is just a hobby for me and it doesn't really matter how long it takes me to do something. Would be a different story if I was trying to make a living.

I have an aloris QCTP on one lathe and a 4 way on the other. In production the 4 way is faster and more ridged. Either one is a great choice.

Yes I could imagine for some repetitive operation the 4 way could be pretty efficient. But for me, I don’t find that situation very often, and the “normal” QCTP holders are inexpensive and set for the specific tool, just pop it in. I must have 15 of them loaded with different tools. And a few empties for what new need arises.

the inexpensive wedge type QCTP ... capability and ease of use, coupled with the low cost of more holders

I concur with Winegrower, above. However, funds for the Aloris type tool holder and tools have eluded me. I was trained with a Lantern Post, back, before the dark ages, then as progress overtook my employer, the entire tool room built for themselves an indexiable four square tool holder. We each had one, and spacers to make them fit the lathes in the toolroom. When retirement allowed me my own machines, I build the four square I remembered from my apprenticeship.

Found a you tube video where a guy made one of these for his mini lathe.

And I found a you tube video that showed how the indexing on a 4 way tool post holder worked. So I have figured out how to make one of these tool post holders indexable. I have some of the steel that I need and will order the rest.

Was it just me or was watching the video of that guy making the toolpost scary? Wanted to look away and not see the thing fly out of his wooden and home cast aluminum lathe.

I concur with Winegrower, above. However, funds for the Aloris type tool holder and tools have eluded me. I was trained with a Lantern Post, back, before the dark ages, then as progress overtook my employer, the entire tool room built for themselves an indexiable four square tool holder. We each had one, and spacers to make them fit the lathes in the toolroom. When retirement allowed me my own machines, I build the four square I remembered from my apprenticeship.

That sounds like a concept. In my younger days that is what was on the lathes. The only 4 way was on Turret lathes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have finished cutting the tool holders out of a 1.25x2.25x18 hunk of 1018 and have finished off the rough ends left from the the saw cuts on my mill/drill. I cut these with my sawsall. Not pretty but it got the job done. Took awhile. I ended up with seven 1.25H x 2.25W x 2.50L pieces.

Of these 7 pieces my plan is to make four to hold my atlas/craftsman tool holders which are 3/8x3/4 or 3/8x13/16. I will make these 3/8x13/16. These holders could also hold 1/4 to 3/8 HSS tooling. I am thinking of making one holder to hold 1/2 HSS. Or make this holder to hold a drilling attachment like I recently saw on another thread. The final two pieces I plan to make to hold boring bars. My largest boring bar is 5/8 diameter and will make one holder to hold this boring bar. I would also use this holder with my 1/2 boring bar. The final holder I would make to hold 3/8 and smaller boring bars. I have a bunch of these.

All of these holder will have the same hole layout except for the holder for the 5/8 boring bar. My question is how thick should the wall be between the end of the holder and the boring bar and between the boring bar and the center post? I can make these walls up to 1/8 thick.

Here is a top view sketch of the holder for the 5/8 boring bar holder with 1/8" walls as in my previous post.

tool post holder layout boring bar.jpg

Back