Tool post question

m7cat

Registered
Registered
New to the site, and just picked a real nice south bend lathe would like to pick up a quick change tool holder what should I look for! it needs to be within reason price wise. thanks guys!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Toll post question

I just picked one up on the weekend. It's now one of those "how did I do this before without it" things!

Got it on sale for ~$159 (came with a number of holders, and a knurling head) locally.

I know the one I got is only suitable for up to a 12" (swing) - which is luckily all mine is!
After that you have to move into a larger one, which kicks up the $$ point.

Check Grizzly, and places like that.

Re: Toll post question

Speaking to my own preferences, I would get an Aloris, or clone, mainly because the holders are interchangable, so you can buy a nice post, and then have a wide selection of grades/prices of tool holders. The Phase 2 units are quite a bit cheaper than the genuine Aloris units (which are pretty outrageous new), and seem to be fairly well regarded. You can also keep your eyes out on E-bay to see if you can snag a good deal.

I have a KDK toolpost on my machine right now. I't fairly solid, but Id on't like the way the toolholders are designed. They are also out of business, which may mean you can find a good deal used, but the toolholders won't fit the more common Aloris type, so pickings are slim.

I also don't like the piston type holders tool posts, I had one on my 7x12, and I think they are just a bad design, at least I think the wedge type is more solid. Just my 2c.

There is also the option of making your own, there are lots of plans out there.

Back