Tool Post Styles

Here's a simple Norman style that should be easily scalable. I made one for myself and used it successfully for many years.

The easiest and cheapest to make (if you have access to a mill) is the 4 way tool post. People will slam me for this, but properly tooled, and well made, it is the most rigid of all the tool posts, except a solid block to the carriage.

Nobody will slam you for this, Dabbler, because its true.

Hi Guys, boy, alot of good ideas, I like them all, but first this is what I made today.

I just don't like it, seems to work ok but it still a fiddler, or am I being to picky about this, I don't like the wasted time getting things in line, but this one is better than the old one I was using.. this one will take 1/4", 5/16" and 3/8" bits.

Attachments

• 0327201402[1].jpg
    0327201402[1].jpg
    169 KB · Views: 23
  • 0327201411[1].jpg
    0327201411[1].jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 0327201402b[1].jpg
    0327201402b[1].jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 18
That's a cool little lathe. You could make a 4 way toolholder or a Norman style QCTP. The 4 way may be the easiest to make. The base of the 4 way would sit on the compound. The body could be made two different ways. One way would be to start with a solid chunk of steel and mill slots for the tool bits. If you don't have a mill you could do the milling by putting an end mill in the lathe and shim the work to the height you want on the compound. Tighten it down and mill the slot. Or you could make the it with 3 pieces either welded or screwed together.
Here is a link to my thread on making a Norman QCTP. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/norman-style-qctp.79705/ You could scale everything to fit your lathe.
Hi, this one seems to complicated for me, but it is a nice setup..
Thanks
Tim

Here's a simple Norman style that should be easily scalable. I made one for myself and used it successfully for many years.

Hi, this is another nice setup, but sometimes I need to tilt tool bit up or down, guess I could put spacer at rear of tool bit in that case, but then I'm back fiddling with spacers...
Thanks
Tim

Just going to throw this out , on my little Chinese lathe ( think of a old Smithy3 in 1 without the mill ) it has a 4 way tool post and not much distance between the compound and bottom of the 4 way , I couldn't fit 1/2" tools , not enough stock to cut the bottom lower so on one side I just cut it off so on the one side of the holder it clamps right to the compound ( some shimming required ) might just give you an option of using lantern style tool holders with a 4 way
Hi, something I'm really going to think about.
Thanks
Tim
What lathe do you have? A picture would help. Something doesn't seem right. You could make a 4 way tool holder or even a Norman style QCTP. Whatever you end up with you are pretty much limited 1/8" to 1/4" HSS tool bits. I saw this interesting tool holder on a video today.

You have to shim the tool bit to height. What isn't shown in the picture is an adjusting screw on the other side of the center post that acts as a pivot point so that tightening the center post clamps the tool bit in place.
Hi, this is a fiddler but looks like an easier fiddler.
Thanks
Tim

Well, being I'm all confused now and feel like I should be in a nursing home, I need to think about the best option, and if I forgot to answer someone, I apologize, but do appreciate it very much,,
do you have a jeweler's lathe? it seems a little bit small...

To start with I've done a lot of great work with my lantern toolpost - there must be reasons for adding another... Care to share?

Every lathe I own has a rocker toolpost, a 4-way tool post, and an Aloris style tool post. I like them all, each for different reasons. They each are very well suited for a wide range of operations.

The easiest and cheapest to make (if you have access to a mill) is the 4 way tool post. People will slam me for this, but properly tooled, and well made, it is the most rigid of all the tool posts, except a solid block to the carriage. Most people (incorrectly) shim tools to get centre height for a given tool. That works in an improvised kind of way. I have milled my tooling for my 4 way so that the tool is always on centre without shims. saves time and is the best set up for rigidity.

For such a small lathe you could also consider the Aloris style in the 0XA sizing. The Aloris type is very versatile, but you have to shell out for holders for each of your tools. It can get mid-spendy if you have a lot of tools. (not as spendy as some, however)

The real question that you should ask is what do I need to do with my lathe that I can't do now? The answer to that is going to give you direction on how to spend your money well.
Hi, I have 3 or 4 of these Aloris style holders but no the main part that fastens to the lathe, but as I looked at them, the holder for the tool bit is to thick at the bottom which makes the tool bit to high to start with, unless I remove 1/4" or more from the bottom of the holder, not sure what to do.
Thanks
Tim

Thanks everyone,
Tim

What I would do if I was in your situation is make a 3D model in Google Sketchup of each of the different types of tool holders scaled to fit your lathe. That will give you a visual. If you don't use Sketchup or any other 3D modeling software I would be glad to model them in Sketchup for you. Just let me know. Then you could make one of each in wood to see how it actually fits. Then make what you like best in steel.

You will find that you will use each of the different types of tool holders depending on what you are doing. I use my lantern to reach into tight places. If I am going to be using 2 or 3 different tool bits back and forth over and over I will set up my 4 way so I can just swivel between the different tool bits. I do use my Norman style QCTP most of the time. They are really easy to make and not complicated once you figure out the sizing and placement of the slot to fit your lathe. If you can make a lantern you can make a 4 way or a Norman.

I think that the reason you are having to tilt your tool bits up or down is the get tip of the tool bit on center. From looking at your pictures the 3/8 tool bit has to be tipped down to get the point on center. The 1/4 and 5/16 you are tipping up for the same reason. To get the tip of the tool bit on center. This requires a lot of fiddling. With either a 4 way or Norman style QCTP you would be limited to using tool bits no bigger than 1/4. You have to shim with the 4 way. Some people glue the shims to the tool bit or use a larger tool bit and grind it down so that the tip is on center. With any of the QCTP there is an adjustment screw that you use to raise or lower the tool holder to get the tip on center. In all of these situations the tool bit is level in the tool holder. Never angled. This makes grinding the tool bits a lot easier.

You will figure out what works best for you. Most of all have fun.

@horty I've read more about your lathe, and it seems to me that it might be best to make your own, that will fit your lathe properly.

Really nice work on your rocker tool post. Very professional looking!

You didn't mention the 'size' of the aloris style tool holders you have. I still think you might get away with the '0xa' size of aloris style holder. Here are the dimensions of the smallest readily available aloris-style holder, the 0XA (bottom of the page):

Another way to get more height is to attach a threaded steel insert below your cross slide. that .250 space will be critical in fitting a tool post.

we don't tend to "slam" people here.

@Boswell, that is mostly true. I sometimes have to police bad behavoir here from time to time, as people tend to get emotional about tool posts at times.

Back