Tool Post tool holders

mriplaybass

Registered
Registered
I just got my phase converter installed yesterday, so now I am ready to start relearning how to use a lathe. The lathe came with several quick change tool holders, but none of them seem to fit my smaller bits. (.02 to .05 thick) I have a 250-300 tool post. Am I correct in assuming that I have to stick with 250-3** tool holders? or will a 250-2** or a 250-1** work with this post? Can I shim a larger tool holder in order to use a smaller bit?

If I'm not mistaken, a 250-300 is a CXA-sized tool post. Yes, you can shim your smaller tools to go into the tool holder. The 250-200 and 250-100 holders are BXA and AXA, respectively. They will not work with your tool post.

It always helps to tell us what lathe you are using and be as specific as you can about your tooling so we can help you.

I see you only have a couple of posts. Welcome to the forum. Everybody on here will bend over backwards to help you out. Just provide the necessary info and you will get more help than you can shake a stick at.

mikey, I believe that you are correct. My research indicates that I have a CXA tool post given that the diameter of the bolt is 3/4".

benmychree and mickri, I got those dimensions while searching for quick change holders. I believe that they were 250-100 series holders, and the description stated 0.2 to 0.5 bits. My lathe came with boxes of tooling that I am just starting to go through. There is a box with probably 40 or 50 small bits ranging in thickness from 0.270 to 0.380. Some of the used ones appear to be bent! I have still not measured the lathe, but I believe it is somewhere in the 14" swing and 36" centers range. I know, itty bitty mini lathe bits! But they came with the machine. Most of them are carbide tipped.

I'm just now beginning to learn what control does what. I need to figure out how to properly position the bits in order to face and turn. I have managed to do a very rough turning of a piece of 2" pipe that I had laying around, and even managed to cut 20tpi on it. Gave myself a great bit "attaboy" for that one given that I have no instructions with the lathe, and can't seem to find any online or anywhere else. (Hamilton lathe)

PVC pipe is a great thing to practice on to learn the repetitive motions of turning and especially threading. You can do both external and internal. To give you good visuals coat the PVC with dykem if you have some or any colored marking pen. Red shows really well what is happening. Being able to take consistent measurements is the next skill to learn. Especially internal measurements. One thing that you will notice when taking measurements is that the actual cut is less than what you moved the tool bit. This is called spring. Every lathe has it. Some more than others. The deeper the cut the more spring.

A must read is Mikeys' long, long thread on grinding tool bits. Of the online videos my favorite is Tubalcain aka Mr Pete. He is a retired high school shop teacher.

You are on your way. Have fun with your lathe.

mriplaybass,
Welcome my friend.
What lathe do you have?
250-100 is the Aloris AXA series 9-12 swing
250-200 is the Aloris BXA series13-15 swing
250-300 is the Aloris CXA series 15-17 swing

Do I have this about right fellas?

mriplaybass,
Welcome my friend.
What lathe do you have?
250-100 is the Aloris AXA series 9-12 swing
250-200 is the Aloris BXA series13-15 swing
250-300 is the Aloris CXA series 15-17 swing

Do I have this about right fellas?

Theres quite a bit of overlap in the sizes, though that is genrally correct. Page 29 here has the Aloris recommendations based on the lathe itself: https://www.aloris.com/aloris_cat/31e970.pdf

I know that i had a BXA on a 10" lathe and it worked pretty great, though most of my tool holders stayed 'near the bottom' (note it suggests an AXA for that one).

These guys are the best & what they say is true. Add pics. That will help to answer some of their questions more readily than you or could answer given our newness to the hobby (I'm not very new, but it's still all new to me & my background / professions haven't helped with learning the lingo).

Just the basics here:
Whatever toolpost, whatever toolbit holder or cutter you wish to use, the top leading edge of the cutter point should be adjusted (by whatever means necessary) to be even with the midheight of the object being cut / threaded / brought to size.

Back