Tool rack on top of the lathe.

Silverbullet, that's a good idea, the ceiling isn't that high, i'll take couple measurements to see if i could reach to utilize it all.

I do not use the top of the headstock to store tool holders, the wood tray mounted on top back splash serves me well.

20161127_230331.jpg 20161127_225716.jpg

Thought about the moving back splash with a tool rack on it, Gut then figured out the width the feet had to be to keep it stable and do not have the space, Guess I will have to do with solid backsplash. Just have to figure better way to hole the tools. on it. something like Bamban has allows for holding all kinds of stuff not just tool holders.

Here's how I did my Grizzly G0709 14x40. The tool holders slip over 1/8" aluminum pieces that are screwed to unistrut which is bolted to the back splash. There's a rack at the tail stock end with holes for tail stock hardware, chuck key, allen wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Also leave a Harbor Freight magnetic tray on the bed for center drills, tail stock chuck key when is use, etc.

The red cart is from Harbor Freight and has a 5-C collet rack mounted to the lid. Drawers hold extra inserts, measuring tools, lathe accessories (spiders, dogs, etc.), etc.. I like the set up, grab and go on the 35+ tool holders on the rack.

Bruce

20170121_094500a.jpg

Those are pretty good storage setups, i especially like Bruce's setup everything is close to hand, but that won't work for me, my lathe has no back splash pan, and my lathe is much higher and wider, i only reach 3/4 way across, cool to see others tool storage solutions.

Back