Tool Room Grinder Wheel Source/options for 6x1x4?

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
Hi,
I just received my new Grizzly Heavy Duty H7762, Tool Room Grinder.
I assumed right out of the gate I would need to make some corrections to these grinders.
I plan on adding a diamond wheel and a quality round grinding wheel with this mounting system.
The backing plates and the abrasive on these are so out of true it's a joke. I expected it.
Where can I purchase quality options?
6 X 1 X 4. 3,450 RPM
Please see pic.
Thank you for your help

IMG_0594[1].JPG

Those wheels are not very good. They are not "green wheels (silicon carbide)", they are "painted green wheels." They work, after a fashion, but not how a silicon carbide wheel is supposed to on carbide tools. Under the green paint, the wheel is gray. They do cut HSS, slowly and not very well. They do grind carbide, slowly and with a poor finish. I added a Shars p/n 505-3363 150 grit 100% concentration diamond wheel to my HF grinder, and it fits poorly, the grinder and the wheel have different mounting bolt circle diameters. Not sure which one is correct, if either are. The Shars wheel has countersunk holes compared to flat bottom holes on the HF wheels. I had to replace the fasteners with countersunk screws and "dial in" the wheel when mounting it to try to get it to run true, which it still does not completely do. At some point I will machine a new additional bolt circle on the Shars wheel to fit it to the grinder. The grinder ran glass smooth with the wheels it came with, and also with the one wheel removed before mounting the Shars wheel. I have no issues at all with the grinder except for the wheels and the fit and finish of the table trunnions, which had to be deburred and smoothed, with a tiny bit of metal removed here and there. After that, they work fine.

Most of the 6" diamond ones I see listed have a 1 1/4 bore. You may have to machine a bushing.

Most of the 6" diamond ones I see listed have a 1 1/4 bore. You may have to machine a bushing.
The hubs on the HF grinder measure 1.250". The Shars wheel has a bigger opening than that by .005 to .010" (guessing, it is currently installed.) I suppose I could bore out the wheel opening and make a thin shim ring to try to locate the diamond wheel. I thought of that while installing the wheel, but did not do it at that point. At any rate, the bolt pattern will also need to be corrected. IMO, Shars diamond wheels are just not very well made. I lucked out with the other Shars diamond wheel I use for making precision ground flat stones, but everybody else I heard from with the same wheel were all having big runout numbers with the Shars wheel. Mine came with .001" runout, which was fairly easily dressed round. It is not trivial to make a resin bond diamond wheel run dead true, square, and flat on the cutting face -- and keep it that way.

Last edited:
Bob, I wasn't sure if the hf grinder had a standard 1 1/4 arbor. Good to know. You can't always be sure about hf.

As bob said those wheels r a standard bench grinder composition. The mounting style is a common type just type carbide grinder wheel. I also had a different type of bolt mounting on my diamond wheels bought from cdco. They are tapered countersunk holes. Which was fine because it locates the wheel better than a through hole. I did order different styles of wheels for peripheral use on a bench grinder. Center hole was metric like 32mm maybe. Had to make a bushing. The wheels from China were the same quality as the ones from cdco and for only ten bucks a pc and two weeks wait.

Jeff, does the grinder run smoothly, without vibration?

As I am eating my breakfast this morning, I went to the shop, turned on the grinder and determined pretty smooth. The wheel on the right has a significant amount of lateral runout visible on the inside of the backing plate. The left side is much better.
Have you seen, “ Turn Wright Machine’s” video on this subject?
He determined the bulk of the runout is due to the bushings between the shielded bearing and the backing plate. It looks like they took a piece of conduit with a band saw and called it good.
I will replace the right wheel with a diamond, thank you for the Sharks reference Bob.
I think the left one will be fine after it is dressed. No, they are not of good quality.
Thanks to all.
Jeff

Back