Tool storage on the go?

Brento

Registered
Registered
I am not sure where to post this at but my question is for the group of people that do machining as a living whether it be cnc or manual. What tool storage do you guys use when you are on the go. I am getting promoted at work more and more and i would like to upgrade from my little 3 drawer tool box to something moveable.

A little background on what my job is. I am a set up machinist for cnc mills and i am constantly moving from one machine to the next to run one operation to the next operation. Always drawing pictures to help with problems at hand or calculating numbers for offsets and such. Im always in need of either my allen keys files or even indicators and spend time walking back and forth to finish my task.

I have been looking at these 2 home depot tool carts to buy.

www.homedepot.com/p/husky-33-in-4-drawer-mechanics-tool-cart-black-HOUC3304B10/205905453
www.homedepot.com/p/homak-professional-27-in-2-drawer-utility-cart-BK06022704/205036069

I like the 4 drawer cart due to all the storage but my job usual has most tools given, i just like to use my own measuring instruments as i work my way up. However the utility cart i find very nice due to the practicality of having stuff on the top like notepads as im working on a program and if i need something i can just slide it open to get what i need out. I am going to look at both of those boxes tmr morning and im hoping some of you guys will have some thoughts on what you use.

Roll around should work

Last edited:
I am just a hobbyist but I did purchase one similar to the first one you linked to. I put it next to my lathe and used it to store the tool holders, Allen wrenches, Chuck keys, etc. I had the space I needed but my one complaint was that I could not use the top flat surface in any practical way because you had to have it open to get at the top storage area. I eventually gave it away and just use a "Lower" unit similar to what Z2V shared. Now I don't have to clear off the drawing that I am referencing when I want to get to the top storage. It takes up no more or less "floor" space.

Boswell makes a very good point about the top "work" surface. You will need that.

On the other hand, you could always use magnets to stick the 'print' to the inside of the lid.

Last edited:
Yea ill have to take a look at the one Z2V posted as well

I set up and run 5 different lathes, 2 CNC , one large manual and 2 turrets. I use a roll around and and move it from machine to machine as needed, this is only a 5000 sq. ft. shop so I do not move it very often as it is never far away. If the building that you work in is 50,000 sq. ft. this is another ballgame.

Many "Machinists" would not be caught dead with anything but a Brown Box, I have been working in the business full time for 30+ years and have nothing to prove, the Husky box was $450.00 or so. It has every useful attribute that a machinists box would have, many wide shallow draws which is helpful if you have many micrometers, bore gauges and such which are not generally very tall, it was also far heavier then expected.

As far as a work surface is concerned if you are working for a shop setting up multiple mills does each machine not have it's own work bench?

It is a very small shop but with 5 mills and 3 lathes. Each of the mills just about have one of those open utility carts with a tool holder coral on it however it does end up getting tight when you have the material on the cart with a non conformance box on bottom and your pins and such for measurements as well as fixture tools on top. Since i am new to the trade i always have a cheat book with some tips and such open as well and with everything out it gets very messy. That is why i would like a cart so i can use for another table as i set the jobs up.

Are the tool boxes prone to tipping when on the move? When working with blueprints and drawings would it be possible to have a fold up shelf on the end or back? In my shop space is at a premium so my tool boxes are on casters which I haven't used to often but it sure helps in clean-up.
have a good day
Ray

Well we have magnets we will attach the blue prints or what we will call check sheets (if we have run the job before) to the machine we are running so it is at eye level and off the cart so you can grab your pins and check them as you go down the list. Although a nice size tool box would be great it is a small sho and most tools are provided by the company unless you have your own things to use like basic mics and calipers or indicators. If you have a top and bottom box the yes they can be a tip hazard depending on how they are sitting on the bottom box or if you have alot of drawers open in the front. For the amount of stuff i have it work i dont need a ton of space which is why i dont need a big box with tons of storage. I found a craftsman version on amazon for 116 right now and since my automotive box is craftsman and most of my tools are craftsman i think it would be a great buy. I am waiting on my dad to call napa on monday bc they do have a nice orange homak one with 6 drawers for 400 or so. He may be able to get cheaper so i am waiting to see what he comes up with.

On another note i was curious if anyone has bought the Shars 0-1 mic before? I am thinking about picking one up to replace one of my import ones at work so my import once can come home. (I dont have a mic at home and i cant just bring the ones from work home due to the company having calibration standards.)

Back