Tool to work angles

JayBreda

Registered
Registered
Just got a metal mini lathe and have watched several YouTube videos discussing techniques etc. one of many areas that I am confused about is the angle that the tool is placed in relation to the work piece
I am going to be using carbide tools on aluminum to make a facing cut. Since the cutting edge is already fixed to an offset angle on the tool, do I make the tool and holder perpendicular to the workpiece?

no expert BUT I like to keep the tool holder parallel to the chuck and use the tool in the position for facing as long is there is clearance.

The way I was taught was to set the compound at 30 degrees. With a QCTP you can then square the tool post to the spindle, and use the side for linear cuts and the front for face cuts. Use 2 tool bits in the 1 tool holder and just move them to either slot for the operation you want to do. Keep in mind you need at least a green wheel to sharpen your carbide.

I also leave the compound at 30 degrees, I was refering to having the tool post square to the chuck as you say

Having cut my teeth using lantern style tool holders, I will adjust the tool post to whatever angle works best for any particular situation. There is an advantage in locking the tool post to parallel/perpendicular to the spindle axis in that in changing tools, the tool will come back its previous position, removing the need for touch off again. I have become accustomed to touching off after every tool change, at least for critical work, so the resettability is not as important to me.

edit: added missing word

Last edited:
RJSakowski + 1
In my mind I work with the placement of the single point cutting bit placed to it's best advantage. From there stability of the cutter comes next. Finally machine clearances to avoid collisions, at the start and end, with the chuck and tool holder and cross slide. Most work is done with a lantern type tool post and the cross slide near 30`.
Have a good day
Ray

Leave your tool holder oriented to the axis of the machine with the compound at 30 deg. for threading, and use tool bits that are straight rather than angled.

Just got a metal mini lathe and have watched several YouTube videos discussing techniques etc. one of many areas that I am confused about is the angle that the tool is placed in relation to the work piece
I am going to be using carbide tools on aluminum to make a facing cut. Since the cutting edge is already fixed to an offset angle on the tool, do I make the tool and holder perpendicular to the workpiece?

Jay, what kind of tool holder are you using? If it is the SCLCX-type tool, then it has a 5 degree side and end relief angle built into the tool geometry. This allows you to both face and turn with the shank of the tool oriented perpendicular to the work.

If you have some other kind of tool then the lead angle (which is what you are actually asking about) depends on the geometry; a picture of your tool will help us give you a better answer.

It’s actually still in the crate, which I have not opened
From the product literature on LMS, it’s a
0XA wedge-type quick change tool post and it comes with five tool holders

Back