[4]

Tool Truck Tools

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mirage100

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I had a screwdriver that I need replaced so I found the tool truck gave it to him and he said it was not under warranty. WHAT THE %$@)*^%^&. The black handle was all cracked and dried up. The tool dealer said it was from sitting and not being used and not getting the oil from your hands on it. Isaid that was (&#^((^ and I was a dealer back in the 80s . Well he then said he was not suppose to do it but he would warranty but he would have to order a handle. This is a HIGH dollar tool company . Just wanted to pass it along.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
You got luckey. Most tool trucks won't warranty any thing unless you have an acount with them.

calstar

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Really.....the guy is going to order a handle for a screwdriver? Probably will want to install and charge for it so it will be under "warranty". I never understood why mechanics buy tools from the trucks, convenience I guess but you pay a lot for that.

Brian

Last edited:

lowlife

Registered
Registered
If it was Snap off I might contact someone over his head. I have never had an issue with their warranty including tools so old and rusty you could barely make out the name.

Another brand I have many of on the other hand...............I have to send away to get them warranted as there is no one else in the area dealing that brand and I suspect after this long without service no dealer is going to be able to make it.

The reason I buy tools on the Snappy truck? I havent found a tool company that across the board makes a better tool . Maybe some other companies make a specific tool that can be better but not across the board IMO. Expensive? Yes. When I make my living with them? No

mirage100

Active User
Yes it is snap-on. Sure is ALOT of trouble to get something warranted

markknx

Active User
I have to agree with Lowlife here. As a young kid I worked at a body shop cleaning up, washing cars and learning a bit. Any way I had to brothers that also worked there and started the same way. In time they had tool boxes full of nice tools from the snappy dealer. The thing they told me that made the most sense about paying more was, time. yes quality and warranty are a big part of it. but when you use that amount of hand tools on a daily basis well having the tools store come to you is a big plus. You can also (or could any way) put your hands on a tool and test it right there in the shop. That was some 35 years ago and they both still have most of them tools. If you use them don't even think of putting them back dirty.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
I had a complete set of Snap-on hard handles(the black handles) that i purchased back in 1978. They all turned white and cracked, then disintegrated. I called the Snap-on warehouse and they said it is a known defect problem and is warrantied. They said we can ship the new handles to you or you can bring them to the warehouse and we'll install them free of charge. This was back in 1999. A call to Snap-on will solve the problem if the dealer tries to charge you.

Cactus Farmer

Active User
Registered
Snap-on got my business years ago when I acquired a long handled 3/8th drive ratchet that had been sorely abused. the internal drive was shattered and I used it as a "breakover", (I had little money as a college kid). I needed a hammer impact and Phillips to fix my motorcycle so I went looking for the "man". I thought I'd take the little ratchet to see if they sold a repair kit. The fellow took the wrench and deftly ripped out it's guts while telling me that a repair kit wasn't sold for it, as it's shattered parts hit the floor. Crpa! It was still useful as a tool, now it's junk! Then he gets out a repair kit and says "you can't buy it, it's under warranty". From mad to glad in about 10 seconds! He puts in all new parts minus the handle, and yes, I still have that little ratchet. I got the hammer impact and Phillips plus a 1/4 size handle ratchet with a 3/8 drive for those tight places. He had me for a customer for as long as he was the "man".

w9jbc

Active User
Registered
I don't have many snap on tools but plenty of jh Williams and Armstrong stuff it has served me well over the yrs

jatt

Registered
Had no luck with butane soldering irons (weller and some other "decent" name brands).
So bought one off Snap off truck. Used it a few times out in the field before it gave up the ghost. Now I'm a bit an.... retentive about my stuff; good quality stuff doesnt come cheap, so try and look after it.

Anyway unit was just over a year old and stopped working. Unit still looked virually new in its box. Always promoted himself as, "will look after you", you know the sales pitch. When put him to the test the guy didnt wanna know me. Yes I was very polite until he said he wouldnt cover it.

Would do the walk around trying to sell stuff on his visits. I think he got the message to give me a wide berth after being told where to go a couple of times.

george wilson

Global Moderator
Staff member
That excuse about the handle needing to get "Oil from your hands" is about the silliest bit of nonsense I have heard in many years!!

I had a Stanley black plastic dead blow hammer that also turned white and crumbled away. I just tossed it. It had been used plenty,too. Probably Chinese junk rebadged Stanley. Not that the name Stanley is worth 2 cents any more,though.

mirage100

Active User
Ok I called Snap-on they said they will send a new one will take about 3 days. Just don't get these dealers. When I was a dealer people stopped me ALL the time for warranty that I have never seen before and I would replace it.

timvercoe

Registered
My Dad was a Snap-on dealer in the 70's. He was a no questions asked kinda warranty guy. He told me a few things, (I was in high school then), the dealer had to cover the cost of the tool until the new tool arrived and cover the freight to snap on and back for the warranty. I know the profit margins are not high on tools, seems like its 27 to 33 percent. But the truck is your highest "nut" of over head. So having said all that.......my current dealer told me to sharpen some worn out wire strippers. I now own a pair of Matco. My current dealer gave me grief over 30 yr old ratchets that needed a comfort handle and a coupla that need kits. I now buy matco ratchets to replace the worn out snap-on. We use a lot of 1/2 impact drivers and #4 bits we wear out the impacts, and sure break a lot of bits, initially he told me that Snap-on didn't warranty tools used in production shops. I asked it the other shops in town were just hobby shops. Now he just replaces them, no questions asked. I know that around town he has a poor reputation for doing warranties, I wonder what his bottom line would be if he adopted the "no questions asked" policy?

He also told a story about a bunch of old mechanics, back in the 30's that got together and designed the original snap on sockets and ratchets. Their real sales appeal was to give a guy a tool that he could use to pay for itself and give him the opportunity to do just that. Thus weekly payments. My interpretation was that these guys were for the mechanic, help the mechanic make a better living and make a good living by helping him. In the 70's the old guys started to retire and turn over their tool empire to their offspring. The skuttle butt was that these folks were not mechanics but business majors. They didn't know **** about tools but they knew how to make $. The unmentioned policy became: "Load the mechanic up with tools and high tool payments. If he couldn't pay then take the tools back and sell 'em to some one else."

I suppose some 40 yrs later this is all just hearsay................

One other thought, Snap-on is a franchise based company, the dealers own their own business. Each is an individual. Each has his own business policy. They can be as different as day and night.

Tim

GA Gyro

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
If it were me... I would find another Snappy dealer, or call the home office.

kd4gij

Active User
Registered
I tryed to get a snap-on ratch thad i had from way back when I was turrning wrenches. I tryed to 3 differnt trucks And was told if I didn't have an acount with them thay couldn't warinty it. Then I went to a warehouse neer me and was told I needed prof of perches. Called corpret and was told to send it to them with "proff of perches and return shipping and thay would fix it. Haven't bought a snapy tool scence.

David S

Active User
How about Mack? Anything better with them?

David

GA Gyro

How about Mack? Anything better with them?

David
I have some combo wrenches from MAC... never had any issues with them.
Honestly, would have to call customer service to find a way to warrant them if needed.

great white

Active User
Registered
I'm honestly surprised that "lifetime warranties" even still exist with the current business models most places follow these days.

IE: Build it a cheaply as possible, charge as much as you can, maximize the up front profit and mitigate anything that cuts into that profit afterwards.

"Return sales" seem to mean nothing to these businesses......

D

Deleted member 20190

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
When I was a couple years out of high school I worked in a fork lift shop for about a year. At that time I bought a number of tools from the Snap-On dealer truck and was happy with them. One of them was a Blue-Point "Compothane" dead blow hammer. Now roll the clock forward about thirty years. The hammer had seen lots of use but was showing its age, getting brittle and starting to crack. Finally a big chunk of it broke off.

Now I believe that fair is fair, and I also believe that the life of a plastic tool of that type is not infinite. I had gotten my money's worth out of it, so I visited the Snap-On truck and inquired about purchasing a new one. In passing I mentioned that it was time to replace my original Blue-Point model and "Snappy John" responded that I should bring the old one it as it may be covered under warranty! I politely declined his offer, but he appreciated that I was fair with him and gave me a discount on the new one.

Sadly, John retired a year or so later, and his replacement is a total jerk. No more Snap-On stuff for me unless I cannot find it anywhere else. If a new, decent dealer takes over, I'll give him a try and see what happens. He's got to earn my respect before he can have much of my money.

markknx

Active User
Very good point Terry. I would say to some point the price you pay for Snappy tools is for the warranty. But at 30 years it may be that that warranty was in the tool lasting.

Bill C.

Active User
Registered
Years ago I and my Dad like Craftsman tools. They used to have life time warranties. The last ratchet we had to break they issued a repair kit instead of a new one. I seldom buy Sears these days.

markknx

Active User
You should not have allowed them to issue you a repair kit. make them repair it! The same thing happened with their tape rulers. they started issuing the new red ones and then saying the red ones are not lifetime warranted. nobody complained. Everyone said well what can you do.I Tell them I bought it with a warranty, so it is still warrantied. Sometimes they give a new one but all they have is Stanley tapes now. One more reason I don't buy there any more. Sears tool and hardware store is as close as the big home improvement store to me.(all the same shopping area) I used to go to sears for all my stuff, now I go to the one with the made in USA sales.
Mark

jmcghee

Registered
Registered
I was a Snap On dealer from 02'-07' and sadly this is the way the company is going (has gone). Screwdriver handles are listed as "consumable" along with drill bits, taps & dies, etc meaning that the dealer can warranty them if he'd like, but only gets partial credit back (66 cents on the dollar) when he sends the broken one in. The dealer has to weigh how much money he wants to eat on warranties for strangers vs. customers on his list of calls. One screwdriver handle might not seem like much, but when you're sending in 5k/ week in warranties, it adds up in a hurry. The company hangs their dealers out to dry every chance they get, and care only about answering to shareholders. Every company employee (dealers are franchises) is terrified for their job, and for good reason. Once upon a time Snap On had the best product and best service at a premium price. These days they have a few things that are still better then the competition, but fewer and fewer as time goes on and more of it comes from overseas (their "Made in the USA" brag is at best a technicality at this point) and on average have easily the worst customer service compared to Mac/Matco/Cornwell.

David S

Active User
It is a real shame that once famous company names are letting their products go down the sewer hole. It seems like a race to the bottom, in order to "increase share holder value".

Our company would licence our company name to some third party folks, with very little due diligence that their product was up to our brand name.

When we see stuff branded with company names that we have come to trust in the past, there is no insurance that we will get the same product quality and reliability today.

While I hope this trend will turn around... I am not too confident.

David

GA Gyro

IMO it is our whole society...

Somehow we have lost our morals... and decided $$$ (money) will buy happiness, love, etc...
And as a mature person knows... not particularly so.

However.... this thread is headed towards a political/social discussion... which HM forums prefers to not host... so this will be my last comment on the subject.

GLCarlson

Active User
Registered
A local rumor (unsubstantiated) is that Snap-on is making the Kobalt line for Lowes. If so, that may be a way to get adequate quality without paying for a warranty that may disappear a few decades later. I'm mindful of the Craftsman debacle; just try to get a warranty replacement out of K-sears these days. But the tools were pretty good quality, and hold up decently regardless.

great white

Active User
Registered
Dunno about everyone else, but every warranty ratchet handle I've ever had they've always tried to install a kit first.

Only time I've gotten complete replacements is when my tools are so old they no longer stock a ratchet repair kit.

My last one was a 1/2" drive torque wrench. Had it since I was 14 years old. The ratchet assembly finally let go and they didn't have a kit. So they gave me a new one.

Seemed like a good deal, the original lasted 36 years. I'd call that acceptable service from a Crappy Tire "Mastercraft" brand tool....:)

MARVIN GARDENS

So is the bottom line everything depends on your driver? I inherited a couple of Snap-On roll-around boxes full of tools from my diesel mechanic cousin. I had quite a bit of Snap-On before. There are still tools that I need when a project calls for them but the Snap-On driver won't come by my residential shop. The old driver would and I bought from him. There have been some purchases of eBay "new" Snap-On tools but some of the unpackaged ones look like possible returns to me.

My normal auto work is the restoration and maintenance of 1955-1957 Ford Thunderbirds. The next in the rotation is a 1958 Mack truck and it may call for some tools I don't own. I would be willing to switch to a different brand/vendor but don't like to buy Chinese tools and don't know know if the service with other brands is any better than Snap-On. I am open to recommendations.

Best regards.

Bob

MARVIN GARDENS

A local rumor (unsubstantiated) is that Snap-on is making the Kobalt line for Lowes. If so, that may be a way to get adequate quality without paying for a warranty that may disappear a few decades later. I'm mindful of the Craftsman debacle; just try to get a warranty replacement out of K-sears these days. But the tools were pretty good quality, and hold up decently regardless.
I have looked at Kobalt tools a couple of times when in Lowes. Apparently, if you register, they will even replace lost pieces. I ave always assumed Kobalt was made in China. The quality seemed pretty decent when I handled it and there is a Lowes a quarter of mile from my house.

Maybe that is where the tool truck drives want us to buy wrenches?

I have no experience with Kobalt hand tools but would like to hear from folks that do.

Thanks.

Bob

WisJim

Registered
I have tools made by a wide variety of companies and the last broken or worn out tool that needed replacement was a Craftsman ratchet that I had bought at a garage sale a few years ago. The Sears arrow-10x10.png store arrow-10x10.png employee looked it up, took my name and address and the broken tool and I got a new one in the mail before the week was over.

Attachments

[6]
[5] [7]