Tool Truck Tools

Inter
So is the bottom line everything depends on your driver? I inherited a couple of Snap-On roll-around boxes full of tools from my diesel mechanic cousin. I had quite a bit of Snap-On before. There are still tools that I need when a project calls for them but the Snap-On driver won't come by my residential shop. The old driver would and I bought from him. There have been some purchases of eBay "new" Snap-On tools but some of the unpackaged ones look like possible returns to me.

My normal auto work is the restoration and maintenance of 1955-1957 Ford Thunderbirds. The next in the rotation is a 1958 Mack truck and it may call for some tools I don't own. I would be willing to switch to a different brand/vendor but don't like to buy Chinese tools and don't know know if the service with other brands is any better than Snap-On. I am open to recommendations.

Best regards.

Bob
Interesting. I'm in the process of resurrecting a 1962 Bullet bird....

Kobalt was never actually made by Snap-On but by the Williams subsidiary of Snap-On. Lowes associates ****** Snap-On off by implying a Snap-On sourcing arrangement and Snap-On issued a cease and desist letter to Lowes. Lowes switched Kobalt sourcing to Danaher the parent company of Matco which later merged their tool divisions with the exception of Matco with Copper Industries tool divisions into a joint venture, Apex Tools. Apex was recently purchased by the hedge fund Bain Capital of Mitt Romney fame. Lowes still sources a few things from Apex but most Kobalt hand tools are either sourced from Taiwan through JS Tools of Las Vega except screwdrivers which are relabeled Great Neck and a lot of the cheaper disposable SKU's are direct from China sourced through Lowes in house importer LG Sourcing. Kobalt power tools are sourced from a Chinese company called Chervon. Chervon is a contract manufacturer of a lot of private labeled power tools sold worldwide.

I worked as a part time Lowes associate for a couple of years. As a general rule, most Lowes people are great people trying to do the best job they can with minimal support for the company, local management, not so much.

I had a screwdriver that I need replaced so I found the tool truck gave it to him and he said it was not under warranty. WHAT THE %$@)*^%^&. The black handle was all cracked and dried up. The tool dealer said it was from sitting and not being used and not getting the oil from your hands on it. Isaid that was (&#^((^ and I was a dealer back in the 80s . Well he then said he was not suppose to do it but he would warranty but he would have to order a handle. This is a HIGH dollar tool company . Just wanted to pass it along.
I'm an underground hard rock mine mechanic, use Napa tools almost exclusively. No warrenty problems. Bring in the broken tool and they replace it. They don't carry all the specialty tools, but up to 2 inch wrenches or sockets, there tools hold up well.

I had a screwdriver that I need replaced so I found the tool truck gave it to him and he said it was not under warranty. WHAT THE %$@)*^%^&. The black handle was all cracked and dried up. The tool dealer said it was from sitting and not being used and not getting the oil from your hands on it. Isaid that was (&#^((^ and I was a dealer back in the 80s . Well he then said he was not suppose to do it but he would warranty but he would have to order a handle. This is a HIGH dollar tool company . Just wanted to pass it along.

I haven't had trouble with MAC or SnapOff, but Crapsman is my tale of woe. In the late 70s and early 80s (when Searz first outsourced all tools to China), I had already sacrificed my (literal) pound of flesh and gallon of blood to the gods of Crapsman. I was in the Searz store twice or thrice a week back then, replacing dozens of broken handtools. More recently (this decade) I needed to replace my 1/4" spinner handle, but Searz didn't have the exact replacement. After a month and a half of back and forth with the (east) Indian CS rep for Crapsman (go figure), he finally cut a check and I got my new handle at NAPA. I specifically wanted the one with the 1/4" socket in the back of the handle, as I used it that way more often than not. Anyway, I had to go to the store manager several times to get Crapsman tools replaced when the tool manager denied warranty. I even wrote to the corporate offices several times, and I think it was their influence which made the store managers force the tool managers to do the right thing. As a result, I haven't bought a single thing from Searz since the very early 1980s. Customer service is EVERYTHING. I'm glad to hear that corporate did you right. Maybe they'll pressure the idiot dealer who screwed you, too. One can hope, anyway.

I had a set of expensive Snap-On screwdrivers that did the exact same thing, the handles on most of the set became brittle and either broke when used or the blades just spun inside of the handle. (ALSO THEY GAVE OFF A FOWL SMELLING ODOR). had used SO for over 15 years, so I call the local truck rep, had him stop by, he stated that they were out of warranty so I politely showed the original signup paperwork when I established an account with him and Snap-On which stated "Unconditional Lifetime Warranty on all TOOLS" and he still refused to replace the set, so I sent him packing to never return, I sold everything I had that was Snap-On to my employees, and I now purchase from three other truck suppliers, all who have no problem fixing or replacing something not right. One thing I was extremely glad for was I sold my complete Snap-On socket sets and bought sets that have knurled wrench handles and WHAT A DIFFERENCE, my hands no longer slip and getting a knuckle tore up, torqueing down bolts and such. The extreme SMOOTH FINISH on Snap-On is a hazard when your hands are wet or greasy. Blackhawk, Sears, Proto, SK, from the others are just as good or better than Snap-On, and slightly less expensive. Just to let everyone know I am still using a complete set of 1928 Craftsman box wrenches (13 units) my grandfather bought new, longer handles, better angle of offset, rough handle facing between the heads for better grip of the wrench. You don't need the high price spread, all you need is a quality tool that is not improperly abused when used. IE screwdrivers are not chisels to be used with a hammer.

Snap-on wrenches are nice in the hand, but so is just about any imported tool now as well. It's also shocking just how well designed sockets are now, chamfer for the drive, chamfer for the nut, four deep dimples and flank drive. I know this is heresy, but you can get some pretty nice imported tools. I 'm a retired millwright so I used tools hard, mine were Canadian made Grays and Protos. The Canadian made Protos were from when IR owned Proto. My home tools were just Craftsman and ETF, but a few years back with the death of American tool companies, I was able to purchase Armstrong and Blackhawk . The tool store had bought them at scrap iron prices.

I had the very same set of black handled screwdrivers, and they turned white and crumbled too. I don't work at a shop anymore, and the trucks won't warranty anything for guys like me. I shipped them to a friend and he got them replaced under warranty through his driver. He was also told it was a known defect, and that it was covered. It was nice that my friend could do that for me, but I would never pay the price for "truck tools" again. Even Sears does not warranty their tools like they used to. Ironic that Harbor Freight (across the street from our Sears store) has a better hand tool warranty than Sears or the "trucks". More evidence of where we're headed...

GG

I've purchased very few tools directly from Snap On. Most of them came from Pawn Shops. I've never had a problem with warranty. I usually just stick the broken tool in my car and keep an eye out for any Snap On truck. In every instance, they've cheerfully repaired or replaced what was broken.

I also have a set of the old black handled screwdrivers. They are still ok, but the handle on a 3/8 socket driver crumbled to dust. The Snap On guy marveled at how old it was, and put a new handle on it with no complaints. The new handle is kinda big and overly colorful, but it's better than the crumbled one. I hate the idea that I'll have to have the new ones put on the rest of my screwdrivers, but I guess that's the way it is.

The only warranty issues I have had with craftsman is the tape rulers. I stopped buy tools from sears for that and two other main reasons the quality of their ratchets has fallen, to much slop. The Kobalt I have is much tighter. (is an older one.) the other thing with sears is their employees have told me well sears move manufacturing over seas to stay competitive. Well if that's the case how come the cost has not come down to be in line with other tool brands. Cobalt and Husky both have as good of tools as sears they also have a warranty. So my point is I don't like paying more for the name when the tools are the same.
Now a couple of people have brought up well is Kobalt made in US and Sears is not made in US. Well here is what I have found, there is no 100% made in US tool companies in the retail stores. So one has to read the label and do ones best to find American made. All three brans I mentioned are a mixture of US and foreign made.
Mark

This may well be my first post. I'm not even sure what it was I came to this site looking for-probably inspiration as to how to mount a DRO on the quill of my Chi-Com knee mill

I am a current Snap-On franchisee. In fact, I am right now 150 miles away from my home and family for Snap-On training and can't sleep in a strange place/bed-see what we do for our customers?

There are many mis-conceptions about Snap-On's warranty and many expressed here.

1: The warranty is only extended to the primary purchaser of the tool when the tool was purchased through authorized distribution channels. If you obtained the tool through eBay/Craiglist/Kajiji/garage sales/auctions, there is NO warranty whatsoever.

2: The warranty is for manufacturing defects only. If you have a socket that is 40 years old and finally worn out, it is not a warranty item as it cannot be argued that its failure to continue to provide you service is due to a manufacturing defect. For the love of God, it lasted 40 years!

3: The lifetime warranty is not for the life of the person holding the tool at this point in time, it is for the production lifetime of the tool.

4: The provision of warranty service is at the sole discretion of Snap-On Tools and the servicing dealer.

5: If a tool is a lifetime warranty item, Snap-On will give me full credit for the tool (there's more to it but for the purposes of this discussion, this is enough of a peak behind the curtain at the Great Oz of Snappie-dom).

6: There are many tools that are considered to be consumables (drill bits are a good example) where if I return them to Snap-On, I'm not likely not be credited.

7: There are many tools with a finite warranty period during which if returned to Snap-On, they will either be repaired or replaced-at the sole discretion of Snap-On.

8: There are some tools that are considered to be"Repairable in field". For these, I have to order the repair parts (and pay for them), repair them, and send the broken bits back to Snap-On and wait for reimbursement.

I tell my guys, you don't give me more grief than I'm willing to take, you buy some tools, pay for those tools as agreed, I won't have a problem warrantying your tools.

Now, if someone who is not a professional day-to-day user of tools and who is not an established customer of mine gets on my truck and demands warranty service, there is a high likelihood they will be given a phone number to call and asked to vacate my truck.

OTOH-if someone gets on my truck and is kind and polite and requests warranty service, they are likely to have tools warrantied that are not lifetime warranty. If that person broke something unique or broke it in a dramatic fashion, they're likely to get a new tool. Case in point, I have several tools hanging from the ceiling of my truck that bear the legend "NOT GUAR" that are most likely either stolen from the military or were bought as scrap from a government auction or similar. I warranty these for my novelty value-LOL.

If a good customer has a broken tool that falls into a gray area or is not warrantied but failed in what I consider to be a premature period of time, I'm gonna make it clear to this person that I am giving them a "Goodwill" warranty. They will also probably be told that I am trying to EARN being their only tool man. I hope that by my providing this service to them that they will recognize the value of the service I provide and patronize my truck, thus allowing me to be able to afford to extend such warranty service above and beyond the strict policy guidelines-but, also recognize that I'm likely going to have to put some ketchup and mustard on that tool and eat it.

I often have (for the most part) young men get on the truck and produce a tool that is clearly older than they are, that is worn out beyond belief, and has been out of production since before they were born and demanding immediate replacement. Air tools fall in this category quite often. These gentlemen are quickly given an introduction to the realities of life and an explanation of the fine print of the warranty. Once in a while, a "more experienced gentleman will make the same sort of claims-they also are quickly disabused of the notion. If you have a 20 year-old air tool that has been out of production 15 years that we haven't had repair parts for ten years, yes I do expect you to buy a new one as you have the perfect example as to why you should in your hand in the form of a tool that lasted 20 years providing great service to you.

The guys who get on the truck demanding warranty service for a tool that I cannot determine the provenance of and the guy starts telling me how far he can stand from the urinal, he's gonna be getting off the truck more quickly than the others.

So, to recap-if you don't interrupt a Snap-On man (or lady, there are more everyday and they are all my Sisters in Chrome so you'd damn well better be a gentleman to them or there are 4000 more of my Brothers in Chrome who will kick your ass) when he's eating his lunch, hurrying to get to the next stop so he can collect money owed, or walk around the truck asking the price of every tool and whining about the price, you are more likely to get off the truck with your tool repaired or replaced.

Now, as to the immediate situation, the old hard-handle screwdrivers are not always available. If you have a square shank screwdriver with a busted handle, you're screwed and would be best served by sending it back to the Mother-Ship for service and hope for the best.

Most of my Brothers and Sister in Chrome are good people, but just like the rest of us, we're individuals who have good days and bad days and merely wish to earn a living and not be treated as less than the small business owners we are who are just trying to earn a living in these difficult times.

Back