TOOLCO VM32B MILL Z AXIS DRIVE

PCEQUK

Registered
Registered
I have had the mill for some time but I have only recently started using it for some projects.

One of the frustrations - possible myself being slighty short in height was the Z Axis adjustment. Using inspiration from this site and having acquired a single phase induction motor with mounting bracket, speed controller, gear and chain from a Nutek PCB Conveyor I decided to adapt it as a Z drive for my mill.

The only purchased items was a plastic enclosure (to mount the controller, additional on-off switch and the direction selector switch) and a second 06B gear to suit the chain. All other electrical items I have acquired over the years from my work.

The 06B gear was bored out to the correct shaft size, a 4mm keyway slot added and three M4 tapped holes around the body for grub screws.

I wanted to retain the original handle for manual adjustment and made the handle adapter to fit / centralise on the gear. The start of the thread was initally damaged by a poor die.

Two limit switches and actuator block were fitted to the machine to stop the drive at each end of the machine stroke.

Parts Used:
  • Panasonic M81X25GSDW2 Motor with in built tacho generator / MX8G12.5B Gearbox
  • Panasonic DVUS825W1 Speed controller ith in built motor capacitor.
  • Mounting Bracket
  • 06B Chain (as acquired)
  • Manufactured handle adapter
  • DPST Rocker Switch (Main power On/Off)
  • Schneider Selector switch (for direction) made up of (ZB4-BD2/ZB4BZ009/2*ZBE101/2*ZBE102)
  • Limit Switches 2 * Omron XCK-P118H29
  • Enclosure Gewiss GW44216
  • 06B Gear
Observations:
The system work great as long as you dont start off in a very low speed.
The motor must be stopped before changing the direction.

Attachments

• ASSEMBLY1.jpg
    ASSEMBLY1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 5
  • ASSEMBLY2.jpg
    ASSEMBLY2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 4
  • ASSEMBLY3.jpg
    ASSEMBLY3.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Assembly4.jpg
    Assembly4.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Control Box.JPG
    Control Box.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 7
  • Motor_Gearbox.jpg
    Motor_Gearbox.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 06B GEAR.jpg
    06B GEAR.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
  • HANDLE ADAPTER.jpg
    HANDLE ADAPTER.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 5
  • Limits.jpg
    Limits.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 5
  • VM32.jpg
    VM32.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 5
Looks good! If you needed more torque you could always put a smaller sprocket on the motor
and shorten the chain slightly
-Mark

Back