Tooling made in India... thoughts/opinions?

SonofHarold - Metal Carver

Registered
Registered
As I continue to get familiar with my new lathe and get my shop set up it seems I am always needing/wanting some tool item. Looking on ebay for the most part and have been seeing more Indian made tools and tooling. Are the India made tools any better or worse that what is coming out of China? I am guessing like Chinese tools it might be hit or miss, but is there any thing, or any brand you would definitely want to avoid? or recommend as good? I am looking at a several items ( as my tool shopping always leads me to do) but right now I am primarily looking for a 3 or 4 inch swivel base vise of at least decent quality. And while we are at it... what about Shars?
Thanks in advance.

My experience with tools made in India has been good. But like anything else, you get what you pay for.

The tools and cutters I have bought from Shars have been OK. I normally buy my manual lathe inserts from them.

The things I have purchased from shars have been ok, I am planning to buy more from them. I would say middle of the road quality but priced right.

Last edited:
As I continue to get familiar with my new lathe and get my shop set up it seems I am always needing/wanting some tool item. Looking on ebay for the most part and have been seeing more Indian made tools and tooling. Are the India made tools any better or worse that what is coming out of China? I am guessing like Chinese tools it might be hit or miss, but is there any thing, or any brand you would definitely want to avoid? or recommend as good? I am looking at a several items ( as my tool shopping always leads me to do) but right now I am primarily looking for a 3 or 4 inch swivel base vise of at least decent quality. And while we are at it... what about Shars?
Thanks in advance.

As usual, "it depends." I've bought very high-quality Sandvik Coromant carbide inserts that are made in India.

I'll just put it this way; India managed to screw up an anvil. The idiots used soft pot-metal iron throughout, including the striking surface. First time I hammered a piece of brass, it dented into the surface. Complete garbage. Oh, half the paint shook off at the first strike, lots of dusty white lead oxide powder all over everything beneath the bright red lead paint.

India's a big place; I have no doubt there are competent manufacturers there, somewhere, but you'll have to be savvy and pay a premium to get them for your parts. The random fab shop will be far more likely to churn out garbage than China these days. It's actually pretty easy to find good quality Chinese machine tools & precision parts these days, but as before, they are quite a bit more expensive than you'd think and not nearly such a savings over better makers with more reputation.

I bought an Indian made drill press vise, at the time a friend ridiculed me for the purchase, claiming it was junk that wouldn't last... that was about 35 years ago, it still works fine.

Interstate reamers (msc) from india are very good and 1/3 price of others.

My Glanze (indian) insert tools have been kicking around for over a decade now, and are still perfect.

The country of origin means jack sh**, what matters is the standards and integrity of the manufacture.

My Glanze (indian) insert tools have been kicking around for over a decade now, and are still perfect.

The country of origin means jack sh**, what matters is the standards and integrity of the manufacture.

I have 3 sets of Glanze lathe tools (CCMT tooling) and a set of insert end mills (also CCMT), they all have been perfect. Because of this, I later bought a couple of larger Glanze boring bars, again, super quality, for very reasonable pricing.

I have a Wilton branded 3 axis 3" vise for the mill. I put its quality up against anything I have used including Kurt. Made in India, of course it was not cheap but it is the standard in 3 axis vises in my opinion. I have also used a rotary table from a import supplier that was India made and it was a POS, like others have said, you get what you pay for in general.

Back