tooling source

rambin

Registered
Registered
hey recently pulled the pin on a axa qctp (phase-2) and now im trying to collect up some tooling for it, I ordered that 10mm set of tooling from bangood that everyones raving about (hey its cheap)... so basicly now im looking for a source for some 3/8 tool bits... to put in my tool holders. amazon doesn't have much to offer...shars shipping scared the crap out of me... what is a good online source for machining tools.. im also looking for a new dial indicator mines seen better days.. I really liked the shars unit but it doubled in price with the shipping on it.. what site are you guys using that doesn't make ya bend over with the shipping

Shars has an ebay store that sometimes has better shipping prices. I try to order a few things from them at a time to spread the shipping costs out a little. Doesn't always work on eBay though. It's a bit frustrating. IMO, other than very large or heavy items, the cost of an item includes shipping. And that makes much of the Shars stuff overpriced. Particularly on little stuff like indicators.

What sort of bits are you looking for? HSS blanks, eBay is probably the place to look.

Shars normally combines shipping if you're looking at several pieces. Onesie-Twosie and it's expensive.
They shipped out the (4) AXA holders for the cost of one + $2 to me recently.

Shars has an ebay store that sometimes has better shipping prices. I try to order a few things from them at a time to spread the shipping costs out a little. Doesn't always work on eBay though. It's a bit frustrating. IMO, other than very large or heavy items, the cost of an item includes shipping. And that makes much of the Shars stuff overpriced. Particularly on little stuff like indicators.

What sort of bits are you looking for? HSS blanks, eBay is probably the place to look.
3/8 blanks just so I can start playing a little....getting close to getting a new to me lathe going that I bought in the spring... (10*24) m/w's logan from the early 40's

I purchase them from MSC most of the time. Shipping will be about the same as from anybody else, and the cost may be slightly higher, but I can get exactly the cutter blanks that I prefer. I purchase some of the cheap HSS blanks, but I also have some of the M42 cobalt bits for harder materials. I seem to have better luck with them than with carbide in some cases, especially with interrupted cuts in hard materials. They are quite a bit more expensive, but can be worth every penny.

I also 'build' my orders over time. When I see something that I should order at some point, I select what I want from their catalog and add it to my order. Sooner or later I get to the point where I have to get something that I need right away and I order the whole works. Seems to help with saving on the shipping cost that way.

I just realized that you are in Canada, which changes everything and the shipping cost typically goes up even more.

While we are on the subject of shipping costs, get ready for them to keep rising - significantly. Freight rates are on the rise, I've been hearing 20 to 25 percent in some cases.

My suggestion might be a little different than some of the others you might get... but if you are just starting off and trying to build up your tooling I would strongly suggest you concentrate on used tooling and Craig's List is your friend! You can also get some good used tooling on eBay, but it will probably cost you more, because it gets a lot more exposure to people who knows what it's worth.

I've bought from them all... eBay, Shars (both on eBay and their website) Amazon, Enco (I LOVED Enco), etc. etc. etc.. The best value by far was checking Craig's List and jumping on stuff that comes up. You can even save searches that trigger an email notification when items come up so you can jump on them quick. Do a search for "machinist tool" and see what comes up.

There is a huge difference between the import tooling you will get for cheap prices new on-line and the used/new stuff you might get from ads from people that have left jobs, need money, are retired or just cleaning out, etc.. There is no comparison between good ole american brands like Cleveland, Niagara, etc. and most import stuff. Sure, the import stuff is HSS, but not the same grade as most US made tooling. It just does not compare.

A lot of guys leave jobs or retire and they end up with a lot of tooling in their tool boxes from work. They are usually willing to sell it for a very decent price since it didn't cost them anything in the first place. You might even benefit from running a wanted ad in Craig's List. You never know what might show up. If you have time, I suggest you go this route. One purchase alone and you might be lucky and end up with a very healthy supply!

Good luck,
Ted

Traver's Tool has good inventory, good prices, and good customer service

Rambin,
Try KBC Tools. They are in Mississauga, Windsor and Vancouver. They have specials quite often and reasonable shipping. They have a good online order catalogue.
Cheers
Martin

I get a lot of stuff from Victor Machinery Exchange. They have mostly import stuff but their prices are very reasonable. Victornet.com is their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back