[Newbie] Tooling that came with lathe

The advances in carbide and tooling has been mainly used in high power and higher SFM associated with larger CNC lathes. With that being said I had a supply of insert either from testing, gifts or replaced by the latest and greatest thing.

Also the popular CCMT metric size inserts cost per corner is expensive. The Aloris tool described is a excellent tool and works well. However after asking folks who have forgotten more about carbide than I know their opponent is concurrent with what I post the machine is the limited factor in older machine not the carbide.

Since I have a supply and adapted tooling I’m using my “inserts that don’t work “ and smiling at the cash I’ve saved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The round inserts are called railroad inserts and are used for profiling where you don't need square corners. Very handy and you could make a tool holder quite easily but until you upgrade to a better toolpost I would just chuck in the back of the toolbox. The square ones are design for a clamp style holder and can be used for turning/facing/putting in a chamfer, again handy but need the correct holder. I have a big bag of used ones and braze up tools for use on my shaper. Being Carbide you need a Diamond wheel to grind. You could make a small scraper.
Inserts are good but need a lot of different holders and if you start mixing retaining styles can cause clutter very fast.
I'd suggest upgrade your toolpost and maybe buy a set of cheap brazed tip tools to complement standard Armstrong HSS tool holders or a tangential tool holder like the Diamond from Eccentric Engineering.

Back