Toolmaster 1D - "As the Spindle Turns"

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Registered
Yeah, I think I'll turn this into a soap opera. Maybe the title should be "As the Table Feeds"
Connected electrical power to my table feed gearbox. Re-wired motor from 440v to 220v. power it up and motor runs, gears turn. No broken gear teeth. Looking good so far. What the heck, I have the table leadscrew cleaned up and back in, so installed the stack of gears on the end of the leadscrew, table driveshaft and hung the feed gearbox. It seems to move the table left and right. Missing a few small parts, snap rings, a spacer, a thrust bearing, and the biggie, a handwheel. Still a ways to go, the gearbox needs clean out and fresh oil. This is the first time the x-axis feed has been on the machine since I've owned it. Amazing, lol. FullSizeRender (5).jpg

Very nice, love to hear the rest of the story. The Cinci 1D is an excellent machine.

Today's episode: Looking ahead while waiting for parts. This is why I don't have a handwheel for the left end of the table (see pic). If I had the missing spoke, I could just braze it back together but I don't. Brainstorming ideas because I've looked for a Cinci handwheel for a couple yrs, lol. I could make one out of plastic but people might think it's an import clone machine. Generic handwheel from ebay? Make one from scratch?

IMG_2676.JPG

Today's episode: Looking ahead while waiting for parts. This is why I don't have a handwheel for the left end of the table (see pic). If I had the missing spoke, I could just braze it back together but I don't. Brainstorming ideas ...

Since you have one intact original wheel, you have the option of bulking it up a little (Bondo or other
filler, to make it a nice convex-ish item) as a pattern for casting. Any cast iron shop can handle
that, fairly easily and effectively. It's still a machining project to finish it off, of course.
For symmetry, you might make two or three, and fit the machine with the best matching pair.
Then you could offer the original on eBay...

Granddad replaced one of the wheels on his lathe with a cast iron... sewing machine wheel. It
never looks right, to me (and it doesn't much resemble the original part, either).

Lurking on eBay for a few months might be rewarding, of course. Or, look for a cooperative
scrapyard.

You could still braze it; grind off where the old spoke was, make a new spoke and it would look ok after paint.
Mark

I'm for casting one. Alternatively you might try V notching and TIG welding, then grinding it on a cylindrical grinder.
The quality of the cast iron should be good enough for a good TIGer to do well with. Unlike many of the new castings.
Unfortunately if TIG is attempted and fails. Then using it as a pattern for casting isn't going to happen.
Have you got a lathe? Have you considered turning one?

I sold my 1B when I got a 1D. Great machine!!!

Daryl
MN

It doesn't look to hard to make one , the cost of a chunk of cast iron. Why not make it yourself. That's what I'd do.

Been busy but shortly after getting the feed gearbox mated to the table, found the feed was jumpy in a couple of the feed settings. Needed to drain the oil anyway so pulled the cover and down in the sludge found some broken gear teeth. I'm sure replacement parts are a fantasy so I'm going to attempt to repair the feed gearbox. That's actually an understatement. I'm committed to making this original gearbox work so if anyone has any $0.00 advice, I'll gladly pay for it!!

This is hobby mill, will never see any heavy use so not looking to bring it into "like new" condition. Just want it to work so even JB weld has crossed my mind, lol.

If I had to guess, the table was fed into a stationary object until the gear teeth broke. The broken handwheel on that end of the table is also indicative that the feed/table/handle experienced a traumatic event at some point.

Here is the start: gear cluster "A" in the Cinci Toolmaster 1D parts manual. It's probably the part in the gearbox that's in the worst condition. IMG_2763.JPG

One of Keith Fenner's old videos shows him brazing a solid chunk of brass where a few broken gear teeth used to be, then cutting new teeth in the brass. From that picture it looks looks you might even be able to make the necessary teeth by hand using a file (after brazing up the bad area of course. Keith Fenner's youtube channel (you will have to find the proper video on your own!!); https://www.youtube.com/user/KEF791/featured
Here is a link to a similar video by Keith Rucker (that I haven't seen);

Good luck!

Here is one of several of Keith Fenner's gear tooth repair videos. Use the search function on his home page (above).

Back