Toolmaster 1D - "As the Spindle Turns"

YUPP grinder out and build up with brazing , there are different rods get the hard bronze. If you have too .you can hand cut them . Die grinder or dremel . It would be a great shaper job.

I strongly recommend the brazing option.
Especially if you are only looking for a few teeth on such a complicated gear assembly.
This has worked very well for me. Note: that you need to calculate DP and carefully manage set up with a DH.
The math and machinist gurus here at HM were instrumental on making this happen for me on a VN.
I'm monitoring this thread carefully as I've got a Cincy 1D and expect similar to happen here in my shop.

Daryl
MN

Skyboy,
Are you comfortable doing the brazing and cutting these teeth?
Please ask if you need any assist.
I may not have an answer. However, there is likely someone here at HM who will.

Daryl
MN

I had the same issue with my toolmaster 3 or 4 cluster gears had teeth missing i made all new gears out of 4140 prehard on my fellows gear shaper it must be the weak spot on those mills my mill has the shaper on the back end

Your Cinci table feed gearbox looks very similar to mine! Those cast iron gears do seem to get broken on a lot of these machines.

Daryl, the biggest obstacle for me is spare time! I'm fairly sure I can repair the gears, I've considered making more from scratch so no reason why it can't come up with a workable solution. The table feed gearbox is really quite simple.

Groundhog - My old machine shop instructor mentored me on braze and teeth recut with a worm gear way back when. It came out amazingly well because the worm gear was bronze to start with!! Almost could not tell where the repair started.

Thanks for the great links, I can view some of these while on the road.

Last edited:
Back