Toolmaster 1D Table leadscrew

Skyboy

Marty Mayes
Registered
Has anyone ever removed the table leadscrew?

On the feed gearbox end of the table, there is a locknut and bearing retainer. The locknut has threads on the ID which mate up to threads on the leadscrew. The bearing retainer has threads on the OD, which threads into the mounting apron on the end of the table. The locknut fits inside the bearing retainer but those parts are not fastened together.

Both the locknut and bearing retainer are frozen in place. Best I can tell, rust, being bolted together for 50 yrs, or combination of the two have made it impossible to separate these parts. I tried a homemade spanner wrench with no luck - bent my wrench. This was after much soaking in PB blaster. Not wanting to damage anything, I worked around that issue and accomplished what I needed to do but it still bothers me that I can't get those pieces apart. Plan to make a different style spanner tool that will allow me to use an impact wrench or breaker bar on the locknut and bearing retainer.

Looking for input, suggestions, anyone BTDT???

Don't know your answer, but don't ruin parts that do not really need to be disassembled just to prove you can do it. Try soaking the threads with a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone, that will loosen it up if anything will. Penetrating oils take time, the more the better. Let it soak for a long while, put more on, and then let it soak longer. Many days if necessary. At intervals, first tighten moderately, the loosen moderately, no heavy torquing or tool or part bending, no heavy hammer use, until it finally comes loose, and it eventually will. Make sure there is not a taper pin through the parts helping to keep them from coming apart. Often the taper pins were dressed flush with the surface and are difficult to see after decades of rust and grime.

Wise advice Bob. The problem is threaded bearing retainer is stuck in the cast iron threads of the table apron. With a 10x magnifiying glass, it appears moisture got in there at some point and has the two parts stuck together with rust. I'm going to make sure I get a good dose of penetrating juice in there and let it soak for the next few yrs because it's ready to to go back together. Maybe if I have to break it down later, it will be closer to freed up.

Back