Toolpost Power Spindle

Now that it's assembled (great job, BTW,) how about a 3/8" triangle welded between the upright and the circular base? To add some rigidity, what with that motor hanging off the top.

Yes, I had this idea too, but it was too much saw work untill now, so will wait some weeks.

This motor was a bit underpowered. Looking for something around 1/2cv 4 poles that fits...

Thanks for the drawing, Cascao, I can see it working for me too (although maybe a bit reduced in size...), I have some nice pieces of stainless bar and very heavy tube waiting for a project like this (although they have a pretty close fit, perhaps good enough for an air bearing), and a spare 3/4 HP DC motor...

I agree on adding some triangulation to brace the plate to the base, should give a big improvement in rigidity and that will in turn improve the finish you can get :)

Dave H. (the other one)

Replaced the V belt to one round PU belt. Much more power now.

23263525014_2b47f4569f_z.jpg
Surprised how good this philips grub screw was

23783396532_3433f58645_z.jpg

23891739795_bf2a1e6e87_z.jpg

Update:
After a break in period, the spindle now produce less heat and has mode free spinning beside maintening bearings preload.

Have aded a computer fan to the wash machine motor since it was heating a lot and the fan wasn't helping much

The round green pu belt keep breaking at "welded" joint. Returned to less effective V belt.

It's a shame that your country won't let you buy what you really want abroad and bring it in for your needs without paying very high tariffs on importing. And even then, you don't know if you will get it or some customs official keeps it to himself in the process!

Great job you have done there with the available sources you have there. We love pictures, too!

Back