tools needed for the home machinist with a lathe and milling machine

ARC-170

Jeff L.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a lathe (Atlas/Craftsman 101.07403 12x24) and a milling machine (LMS 3990). I'm making a list of what I have and what I need. I couldn't find a comprehensive list of the basic measuring tools, gauges and hand tools I need, so I compiled one from various sources. Here is what I have on my list so far. The red/bold items I do not have. My comments questions are in bold/italic: Please add anything I'm missing. I'm not planning on getting all of this at once, but as budget and need arises. I just want to know what I'll really, actually need.
I have not included cutter bits, center drills, vises, tool holders for the lathe, drill bits, boring bars, collets, collet and taper adapters, the oiler cans, etc. But maybe I will.
I have storage space: the mill is mounted on a rolling tool chest (for now until I find a permanent home) and the lathe is on a tool bench with a cupboard and drawers.

MEASURING TOOLS
  1. Calipers, 6" (they are inside and outside)
  2. Micrometers (set for 0-6” & gauge block)
  3. Edge finder
  4. Dial indicator with base I have a cheap Harbor Freight one, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  5. Rockwell tester Do I even need this? If so, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  6. Protractor
  7. Granite surface plate Do I even need this? If so, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  8. Deburring set Do I even need this? If so, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive set?
  9. Anti-fatigue mat
  10. 6” scale/ruler
  11. Extra fine permanent marker, pencil, paper
  12. Machinist square (6”) Is 6" sufficient? (No "That's what she said!" jokes, please.)
  13. Set of files (6”, 8”, 10”)
  14. File brush
  15. Calculator with trig functions
  16. Dial test indicator any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  17. Scriber any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  18. Drill size chart
  19. Metric/Inch chart
GAUGES:
  1. Radius gage set Do I even need this? If so, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  2. 1-2-3 block any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  3. Feeler gauges Do I even need this? I have a set for automotive use; is there a different set for machinists?
  4. Telescoping gauges I've been using my calipers to measure inside holes, but I need to get something more accurate/precise, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive set?
  5. Fish tail gauge
  6. Surface/height gauge/scriber used with a surface plate, any recommendations for a decent but not expensive one?
  7. Screw pitch/thread gauge
  8. Set of parallels
TOOLS are these just for the particular machine, or just to have? I have yet to use an adj wrench, any hammers (except a dead blow one) or any wrenches. I have used hex/Allen keys (specific to a machine) and punches. I've only been at this a short time, though.
  1. Allen/hex keys
  2. Adjustable wrench (10”)
  3. Ball peen hammer
  4. Brass hammer what specifically is this used for (besides the obvious hitting things) and what size is best?
  5. Rubber mallet
  6. Auto center punch are these better than a punch used with a hammer? I've used them a few times and they don't seem to make much of a mark in steel
  7. Punches and drifts
  8. Dead blow hammer
  9. Wrench set
OTHER
  1. Safety glasses
  2. Work apron leather or cloth? I've been using cloth because I can wash it, but I'm thinking leather might offer more protection. Thoughts?
  3. Machinery’s handbook yes, I know, I should get this!
  4. Acetone (to wipe off Dykem and Sharpie)
  5. Rags

Other than the surface plate and hardness tester I could fill that list . :grin: I can't answer if you'll ever need these tools , depends on what your plans are in the future .

That's a lot. You've obviously given some thought to this list.

What you need depends on what you want to do. For example, do you need to be accurate to tenths? If so, you might well need a calibrated surface plate. But be honest, do you NEED that accuracy right now? Probably not. As a fellow beginner, don't go too nuts with the more esoteric stuff. The HF indicator is probably more accurate than you are right now. I've seen some tests that actually show them to be surprisingly good. And accurately, repeatability measuring tenths takes some practice.

If you get a good deal on a nice indicator from the big names, go for it. But the basics are covered for the moment. Ebay can get you some good gear for reasonable prices from big names if you keep an eye on it.

I don't think I would bother with a real Rockwell tester, but the test files can be handy and get you close enough if you need them. I don't see a lot of use for them unless you are dealing with unknown material or plan to do a lot of hardening.

I mostly use files for deburring, but I have a little set from Noga of the pen shaped ones that are nice for some things.

For the scribe, make one. It's a nice simple, useful tool build for the lathe.

Your list is fine. Of course the list could be added to endlessly. My suggestion is that you don't go out and buy anything on the list - unless you need it. Many people (myself included) buy tools because they might need them. I have nearly everything on your list (except the hardness tester) and many of those tools have never been used.

Purchasing some tool that would sure be handy if I ever needed it - is a good way to get a lot of dust collectors. When you actually need something to accomplish a task, then buy one - a decent one, perhaps even an expensive one. You will end up with better tools (because you aren't buying the cheapest) and you'll spend less money because you are not just getting stuff that might be used sometime.

Couple thoughts ... others' opinions will probably be different ... but here goes:
Rockwell tester - probably not, unless you plan to do a bunch of heat treating
Deburring set - maybe not a "set," but a simple deburring tool is generally handy. You might also consider a Scotchbrite wheel for a grinder. I use these a LOT.
Anti-fatigue mat - Good idea, especially if you have cold floors or if you plan to spend long hours machining. Harbor Freight has pretty good interlocking squares (2' x 2') of foam rubber. Not expensive, easy to replace.
6" scale - yes
Machinist's square - 6" is a good size. I often use mine to set the vise "square" on the mini-mill table. Good enough for most work, and a lot faster than indicating it in. Mine is an LMS 3767 vise.
Scriber - good for layouts. Hardware store or Home Depot scribers are inexpensive and just fine, at least for me. Could go with a carbide tipped one if you want something a bit nicer.
Radius gauges - I don't think I even have a set of these. YMMV
123 blocks - very handy for setups. Shars, CDCO, LMS. You will probably want to get a set of V blocks as well.
Feeler gauge - I have some, but can't recall ever using them, except for spark plugs, setting points, or (when I had a Sprite) setting valve lifter clearance.
Surface plate/surface gauge - Probably not n immediate need, but often useful, either for measuring or for layout.
Auto center punch - I've used them at times, but don't own one or see a real need for one. Punch and hammer for me.
Brass hammer (or dead-blow hammer) - good for setting work down on parallels when closing the vise; good for adjusting position, etc. without marring the work piece. Rubber mallet - maybe. Don't use that one too much.
Apron - When I use one, it's cloth. I've also modified the neck and back straps by adding "breakaway" features. Paranoid about getting one caught in rotating machinery.
Acetone - Sometimes necessary. I generally use 91% isopropyl (drug store) alcohol to start with.
Rags - Yes. And also several strategically placed rolls of paper towels. A good friend of mine keeps rolls of TP at his tools - final wipe )in one direction only) to make sure there are no small crumbs of swarf to prevent things from being square.

I'll also add an arbor press to your list. Small ones (½ ton) are not very expensive. That's all I had for several years, and it did me well.

Can't think of anything else right now.

Simple answer is , do you need the tool ? Will it make your job easier , save you time , increase accuracy etc etc etc . I wouldn't buy a tool unless it had a purpose . After all , I don't need the tool itself , I need an end result and if the tool provides any of the above purposes , I buy it . Maybe the hobbiest has different opinions on this reasoning , and there is more than 1 way to skin cats .

First, I am total newbie, trust the advice of those wiser. I did things a little different to get started. I doubt it was the best way, but it worked for me. I purchased complete setups from old time machinists that we’re retired. Overtime, I learned what everything was and started to learn how to use everything. You have to be a little careful, but the rewards can be dozens of end mills, counter bores, drills, carbide, HSS, plus all the stuff on your list. It has been enjoyable. The tools are as much fun as what you make.

I also like the full face shields at harbor freight. On sale they are $2.99.

You may want to add a quality Combination Square to your list.

A Starrett would be ideal, but PEC makes a very good one at half the price.

The set I have includes both a 6" and 12" rule and all three heads, but I rarely use the protractor head.

I agree with all the statements of only buy what you specifically need. The $ you save from not having an un-used inventory of tools can allow you to buy better quality tools when you do. It also only takes 2-3 days to buy something and have it shipped and in your hand. I have been very successful at getting Dial Indicators and Micrometers used from EBAY and Craigs list at affordable prices. My best advise is to go and make something with whatever tools you have and then go buy what you wished you had when you made it.

Back