Tools that are made in The USA

Jake From St. Louis

Registered
Registered
Hello Everyone

I think that I need a new 6 inch digital caliper, I already have a Starrett 120 dial caliper, with that being said The Starrett 798A caught my eye, but at some places it is noted that it is Made In America and others it says Assembled In America. What is the general consenus, are they made in America by Americans or Not?

The Starrett 120 A dial calipers are promoted by Starrett as the only dial caliper made in America on there website. But I can't find that for their electronic calipers.I am old enough to remember what Made in America meant, and I like to buy American products whenever I can. I cant afford to buy cheap tools. I would rather buy one good one instead of two cheap Chinese or Indian knockoffs

Maybe I should call Starret and ask them but they dont sell to the public, I have to go through a dealer and there doesnt seem to be any of those close by.

I just wanted to know so that I can spend my allowance on more tools for my hobby shop.

Thanks
Jake.

If it doesn't say "Made In USA", then it probably isn't, and even then they can probably use parts from elsewhere. If
it says Assembled In USA, USA, or anything else, it almost certainly isn't. It's really difficult to figure out what an
American product is anymore. The car business is a perfect example. The American content of a Honda Accord is
greater than the content of a lot of "American" cars.

Last edited:
I would call Starrett and ask them. They're really nice folks and bend over backwards to help their customers. I would guess Amazon would be a good place to buy the tool that they recommend.

Jake , may I ask you why digital ?

IIRC Starrett digitals aren't made in American anymore (please correct me if I'm wrong). I personally would go with Mitutoyo when it comes to digitals, they are much better quality IMO.

Research the two terms and you’ll quickly find the regulations for a company to state “made in America”. There are many restrictions when it comes to electrical items partly because many, if not all, electronics are made outside of America.

What components are you most concerned about being made in America?

IIRC Starret digitals aren't made in American anymore (please correct me if I'm wrong). I personally would go with Mitutoyo when it comes to digitals, they are much better quality IMO.

Agreed. The first Starrett digitals were made in the US - I own one and it is quite good. Sadly, they are no longer made here as far as I know. If I buy a digital caliper again, it will be a Mitutoyo. In fact, I'm getting older and its harder to see the tiny numbers on my analogs so digitals are starting to "look" better and better, so to speak.

I have a set of Mit My-Cals I haven't opened thus I haven't tried them out . I can actually still read the dials but I'm well past the beams ! :surrender:I may have to try those digetables soon . :big grin:

I own a Jeep Cherokee, made in USA right? Noooo
Japanese alternator, air compressor and transmission
German electrical harness and fuse box
Canadian seats and interior trim
And this is a '97, there's probably more foreign stuff in 'em now
Best vehicle I've ever owned

Back