Top adjustable gibs for 7x12 lathes

B

BRIAN

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi all
This must be a subject dear to the hearts of all 7x? owners . I have put in the downloads a article on a mod I have been running for 2 years now with great success I hope it helps those of you who suffer from the Gib blues every now and again.
Its cheap easy to make and works Just let me know if it works for you Regards Brian

Hi Brian,

I want to congratulate you for your ingenious modification; it's simple to make and I'm sure it makes life a lot easier when one needs to adjust those horrible saddle slide plates.

Best regards,
Jose

Interesting idea. Too bad you didn't post it about 2 weeks ago when I had the saddle all torn apart. I wouldn have tried it, as adjusting those screws from underneath is a roal pain-in-the-butt.

Hi all
If you want to do this mod a few points worth bearing in mind

The parts can be made in advance just don't drill the holes in the gibs until you are sure of the hole spacing on your lathe.

You do not have to remove the apron just undo the screws and slide the saddle of the end of the bed.

The longest part for me was relieving the area for the front adjusting screws but if you have a mill this is easy.

If you leave the apron on you will have to put the clearance champher on the front gib

If you have any problems feel fre to ask.

Regards Brian

Hi,

One curious thing I found on my Einhell (Real Bull) was that the set screw just above the hand wheel is only 5 mm long and doesn't have a lock nut, while the other 3 are 10 mm long and have lock nuts. I tried replacing it with a screw with lock nut and it would interfere with the pinion, preventing the hand wheel from turning. I never saw this mentioned anywhere but I think it should be likewise in all Real Bull machines.
Any comments?

José

Hi Jose.
My lathe is a real bull and when i made the mod at the rear of the saddle I drilled the same holes but found out as you did that a screw in this position got in the way of the feed screw. so i disregarded it,to no ill effect in the end. I mention this spare hole in my article
So your Einhell is the same as my Chester.

Regards Brian

Nice mod!

I'm going to be tearing down my 7X10 soon (bought the LMS 14" bed kit) and while everything is taken apart I think I'll implement this - as everyone has said, the bottom adjustments are a royal pain.

Steve

Hi Jose

My apologies I did not read your post correctly and went onto a different subject altogether..

Is the short screw you mention the one on the right hand side of the front apron , if so under the screw you will find a small spring

and a ball bearing this clicks into a shallow hole in the shaft of the half nut leaver holding it in or out of engagement. the reason why

it has not a nut is that when you fit a threading dial it occupies that space. I think it is the same on all7x? lathes

I hope I have got it correct this time

Regards Brian

I was referring to the adjustment screw that can be seen under the pinion in this picture http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/Setup/saddle.jpg. Here it has a locking nut and it seems to be the same length as all the others, whereas in my lathe it is shorter and almost completely embedded in the slide plate; I tried to replace it with one equal to the other 3 and it would touch the pinion, preventing it from turning.

José

Hi Jose

At last I understand sorry to be so dim. Yes my lathe was the same a short screw, no lock nut.

If you do the mod all these problems disappear .the new gibs are located by the radius's on the nuts stopping any side movement of

the gib .this is a great improvement over the original system you will find the lathe, far better to use. and almost no fussing around

with the adjustments. In 2 years I have only readjusted once and i think this was due to ths gibs bedding in.

Regards Brian.

Back