Top adjustable gibs for 7x12 lathes

Hi Jose

At last I understand sorry to be so dim. Yes my lathe was the same a short screw, no lock nut.

If you do the mod all these problems disappear .the new gibs are located by the radius's on the nuts stopping any side movement of

the gib .this is a great improvement over the original system you will find the lathe, far better to use. and almost no fussing around

with the adjustments. In 2 years I have only readjusted once and i think this was due to ths gibs bedding in.

Regards Brian.

I have decided to go on with this mod, since I can never get the saddle adjustment right. Looking at your plans, I am a bit puzzled with the radii on the nuts; did you make them by hand with a file? Is this accurate enough? I thought I might try tapping through a tit nut and then using contact adhesive to prevent them from self undoing but still being able to undo if there is a need; what do you think?

José

Last edited:
Total newbe here. How does one locate the article referenced in the post?

Gene

I have no idea, I'm not familiar with that particular article & to be honest I haven't really ever looked at what is all in the downloads section. Perhaps @wa5cab might know as he helps manage it.

The OP is long gone so searching by user is a non-starter.
Maybe searching from an actual computer instead of my phone would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably same article as this
Judging from the font, it's a lot older than 2011

EDIT: A more interesting approach is "Mini Lathe Ez-Gibs". I can't find a non-spammy link, so here goes:
dodgy EZ-Gibs link
From what I gather, the three central holes are just through-holes (as with the gibs) to connect the thing to the saddle. the actual height of the gib is controlled by the outboard screws. Might be good to do with steel as the frame, brass for the actual gib. Not that I relish taking the saddle of the 7x16 off for what must be the hundredth time.

Last edited:
I followed Steve Jordan's modifications and recommend them all, this one is about the same part (saddle mod/adjustment),@ 4:12,

Back