Torch heat treating equipment

I made a refractory chamber that allows red heating with plain propane. I was also motivated by the disappearance of real MAPP- the yellow bottle bernz-o-matic says mapp-pro or some such hogwash, it's propane-butane that doesn't nearly get as hot. Now that I'm in my permanent shop building, I can use oxy-acetylene whenever I feel like it, but the refractory still makes even heat fast.

I used a paint can and a mix of refractory mortar and vermiculite, cast around an aerosol can and a piece of tube to form the inlet. Borax for flux, of course.

View attachment 450103View attachment 450101View attachment 450102
I had no idea MAPP was no longer available.
I too can use Oxy/Acy, but the small cylinder is quick and easy.

I had no idea MAPP was no longer available.
I too can use Oxy/Acy, but the small cylinder is quick and easy.
Yep, Linde stopped making it one day. The bottles still say MAPP and are still yellow, but the flame in an O2 burn is 2000 F cooler than it used to be. It's kinda noticeable. Propene (propylene)'s open flame max temp in the "new formula" Mapp-pro is not much different than plain old propane, except for the price.

Yep, Linde stopped making it one day. The bottles still say MAPP and are still yellow, but the flame in an O2 burn is 2000 F cooler than it used to be. It's kinda noticeable. Propene (propylene)'s open flame max temp in the "new formula" Mapp-pro is not much different than plain old propane, except for the price.
I just checked my equipment.
Thinking my yellow bottle was MAPP gas, well now I know it isn't
The torch is propane only!!
The gas is Map-Pro.

Thanks again John. You have once again taught me a valuable lesson.

Attachments

• mapp 1.jpg
    mapp 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 5
  • mapp.jpg
    mapp.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 5
I just checked my equipment.
Thinking my yellow bottle was MAPP gas, well now I know it isn't
The torch is propane only!!
The gas is Map-Pro.

Thanks again John. You have once again taught me a valuable lesson.

I faintly recall something I once posted about the nature of petrochemical companies and their products...

Oh yeah! Here it is!
You gotta watch these petrochemical companies, they pull the ol' switcheroo on you all the time!

I was surprised too, seems kind of silly to see a niche commodity completely disappear like that, especially since it wasn't the usual regulatory-driven excuses. It's not a health hazard and it transports better than acetylene. Voodoo economics?

I just visited the BernzOmatic website, they advertise the yellow bottle burns 130F hotter than propane. I pulled a SDS off of the wayback machine (because petrochemical companies bury their turds quick and deep), and it was (up to) 5% propyne as a kicker. Propyne is an analog of acetylene and a component of MAPP. Did I say 130F? That's like a 3.5% increase. For that, they printed a cute little "M" logo on the bottle, furthering the suggestion that the yellow can is worth paying extra for. That's honest business in corporate America.

Back